+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Typical Sunrise beat up. We have a cellar at home and collect wine pretty seriously, so in the months we are collecting at wine auctions we'll spend many times what we spend on food. Then we will spend nothing at all some months.

They're trying to depict families with beer and no veges in the fridge but clearly as this thread shows reality is no so simple.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well dah! Alcohol costs more!

$20 for a bottle of wine, but $20 buys a lot of fruit and veg and more than we need for a week and we eat fruit and veg every day.

Way to sensationalise sunrise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No way do we spend more on alcohol than fruit and veg. However I dont drink ever, DH drinks rarely and so we buy maybe 1 red and 1 white wine (cheapest possible) every 3months for cooking. Yet we spend probably $80 per week on fruit and veg.
    However as people have pointed out its not really a fair comparison to compare alcohol with fruit n veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I spend $11 a week on a cask of wine,I am pretty classy DH rarely drinks,maybe buys a 6 pack of beer a month?
    And I prob spend $30 a week on fruit/veges

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We definitely do not spend more on alcohol. My husband buys a carton of beer every 4-6 weeks. I think the carton costs about $40, and I would easily spend that amount a week on fruit and veg.

ETA - I don't drink.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-07-2012 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    the point is that people are complaining about the prices of fruit/veg going up due to carbon tax etc and complaining they can't afford to healthily feed their family.

however. if the average fam spending more on alcohol than healthy food...it shows way out of whack priorities within our culture.

like people that cry poor and say can't afford school supplies etc but still always have enough for cigarettes and booze.

It's about making people snack out of their "i'm too poor for healthy food" mindset and have a reality check about what is more important.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weekly I'd spend more on fruit and veg as we don't buy alcohol weekly but when DH does a big buy up of wine, the amount he spends far surpasses our weekly fruit and veg spend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Well dah! Alcohol costs more!

$20 for a bottle of wine, but $20 buys a lot of fruit and veg and more than we need for a week and we eat fruit and veg every day.

Way to sensationalise sunrise!
    This. We spend more on alcohol, probably because we don't buy a large amount of fruit and veg, there are only 3 of us, DH is allergic to most fruit, DS will only eat bananas. We like a few glasses of wine on the weekend. Meh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, really?! We definitely don't in this house! We rarely drink, the only time we do is on special occasions or when we go for a night out, which is rarely. Apart from that, there isn't ever alcohol in the house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not that much of a drinker but dh is. He would spend anywhere from $40 - $100 on alcohol a week.

We buy loads of fruit and veg too but it prob wouldn't come to $100 value. A large box of fruit and veg for us is $20 - $30 and I wouldn't even go through all that in a week