+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Changing the due date after 20 week scan

Hi!!
    I had my 20 week scan this week and the baby was measuring approximately 2 weeks ahead. They now want to bring my due date forward by two weeks.
    I had a scan at 7+5 which gave me my current due date, which also matches with my LMP. I don't really want them to change it.
    They are rescanning at 34-36 weeks to check size.
    Has this happened to you? If so, when was your baby born? Near your original due date or the adjusted due date? Was your baby big??
    My husband and I are both very tall, so I always figured I'd have a big baby.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Usually dating scans have to be done before 12weeks so ur earlier one would be correct. After that the dates can vary a great deal. Ur due date shouldn't be bought forward based on a later one as u don't want the hospital thinking ur due early and trying to induce u if bub isn't ready.

Bub will probably slow down at some point it may have only just had a growth spurt. My sister measured 4 weeks ahead at 30week check up but by 35weeks her little man measured spot on again. They had her all freaked out about a giant baby lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried assuring your OB that you are sure of your dates due to your LMP? I'd not want to change it either. What if your baby is premmie? Bub could be only, say, 31 weeks and they think it's 33 - that makes a huge difference. And also they might try to urge you into an early delivery, thinking baby is 42 weeks instead of 40. And what if your baby is quite big and they want to deliver at say 38 weeks? Your baby would only be 36 weeks in reality. I would definately be discussing it with my doctor. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i was pregnant with my son, i had a dating scan which gave me my due date, then as it went along he was measuring 2wks bigger. Had a scan & they just told me he would be an above average sized baby. They also told me that the dating scan is the most accurate for determining due dates, because most babies grow at very similar rates in the beggining, but as the pregnancy progresses growth varies so much from baby to baby. I would be sticking with your current due date & not change it =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    he was born at just over 4kg (9lbs) so not too big =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me with my DS1. I was certain of my dates as we had been ttc for 18 months and my dating scan matched this spot on. But after the 20 week scan they changed my due date, never really explaining to me why. Being my first bubba I just assumed they were right. Ended up going post dates (according to the new due date) and was induced on what was actually my original due date!!
    Was a difficult labour that ended in an assisted delivery with vontouse. And he was only 7lb 13.
    I believe he just wasn't ready. If I had of known what I know now I would have never let them change my dates or agree to an induction.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DD4 I had heaps of scans and was always told my due date was 2 March but she is a small baby.. All my daughters have been in the 6 pounds so thats normal for me.. At 30 weeks my OB changed my due date from the 2nd to the 16th of March.. I was so jacked.. I ended up having a c/s on the 24th of Feb anyways and my original dates would of been right as bub was 6pound8 bigger then 2 of her sisters and 50grams less then DD1 who was 2 weeks over due..

Point to this is not every babies 'average' is the same so I don't understand why they can change dates.. It's normal for ppl to have 10pounders or 6pounders..
    I'd be talking to your OB and saying you'd like to stick to your original date as you're aware of your LMP, original dating scan dates were the same as this also..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you everyone! I spoke to my midwife and told her that the change is crazy and I didn't want it changed. I'm worried they'll want to induce me before I'd even reached my original due date. She was happy to agree with me and even said that the baby may have gone through a early growth spurt. However on all my paperwork she has now written both dates... Which just confuses things more!!!!
    I'm sticking to my original date no matter what they say! Unless the next scan shows me that I am going to give birth to a giant, then I'll consider an early induction!!
    Thanks again for your stories and advice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

melab  (25-07-2012)