+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default panadol usage

We've been giving DS (12 months) a dose of baby panadol every night before bed for over a week now due to him tugging on his ears, having red ears and not settling well. We suspect teething (the dr said his ears are fine) as his hand is always in his mouth and he's drooling heaps though there's no sign of any teeth about to come through.

Does anyone know if this is too much panadol for him? I feel bad about dosing him up so frequently when we are unsure whether he really is in pain and, if he is, what's causing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd personally take him to the GP, not that I have any problems giving panadol, but just to make sure it isn't an ear infection or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    personally I think it is too much... I'd try other things like a wet cloth in the freezer given to chew on nad loads of cuddles.

Only you can tell if bub is really in pain or just irritated.
    I personally hold off on pain killers unless there is either a high non breaking temp or really obvious signs of pain that can't be dealt with in some other way.

Teething does suck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my opinion no its not too much. Both my DD's had it tough with teething and got their fair share of nurofen at bedtime. I'm not going to hold it back if I know they are in pain from teething and are restless and unsettled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If its only one dose at night and none during the day, I think it's fine. DD has been having panadol or Nurofen on and off for a few weeks - high temps, irritated behaviour that looks like she's in pain, ear pulling (ears are clear, they've been checked) - and I'm not too worried. I am not one to take or dish out medications lightly but sometimes it's needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's too much. If an adult was taking painkillers every night for a week, wouldn't they see a doctor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 had an operation when she was a couple months old and when she was being discharged from hospital the nurse told me to keep up the panadol for as long as needed. When I questioned her about prolonged use (there's warnings on the bottle!) she said that the main reason there's warnings on the bottles to stop people from dosing their kids for months without getting any medical advice. I don't know how accurate that is but I guess it makes sense.

I don't think one dose per evening for a week is too much but I personally wouldn't do it for too much longer. Thats just my opinion though You've been to the Dr to rule out illness so I would perhaps try to ease bubs discomfort in other ways and save the panadol for when the pain gets too much.

I hope your little one is feeling better soon, it's horrible seeing them in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default panadol usage

I would suggest a natural alternative if it is teething, try the Braur teething serum before bedtime as well as amber beads around the anckle, or 11 month old DD is cutting all 4 fangs at once, it's been really rough these teeth are numbers 9,10,11&12!! All at the same time. Children like adults, can become immune to medications if they are overused, my DH takes panadol ALL the time for little aches and pains, now when he has a really bad headache or something more sever it doesn't do much!! I hardly ever use pain relief and if I need a panadol 1 is enough and I am fine. If the ear pull persists I would go back to the doc. Good luck I am feeling your pain!!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ziara View Post
    We've been giving DS (12 months) a dose of baby panadol every night before bed for over a week now due to him tugging on his ears, having red ears and not settling well. We suspect teething (the dr said his ears are fine) as his hand is always in his mouth and he's drooling heaps though there's no sign of any teeth about to come through.

Does anyone know if this is too much panadol for him? I feel bad about dosing him up so frequently when we are unsure whether he really is in pain and, if he is, what's causing it.
    If you are not sure if it's teething and your GP has said his ears are fine then I would hold off on the Panadol for now if you can.

Eta - just realized this is a few weeks old.

How did you get on OP? How is he now?