+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best MCNs for Slim Babies?

Hi There
    I'm new to posting on the BH forum so hope I'm not breaking any rules or protocol with this post!

I am expecting my second bub in September and am looking into what seems to be the plathora of options available in MCNs. (I used disposables with my DD but hoping to primarily use cloth with Bub 2). I did try a couple of MCNs with DD1 but she has always been very slim build and the ones I tried (BBH and a locally made brand) swam on her skinny legs and tummy resulting in leaks.

Given the genetics involved, I suspect Bub2 may also be quite slim (we'll soon see). However I want to start a small collection in anticipation and was wondering if anyone has found a particular nappy/brand/style that suits slim bubs? I know some brands talk about placing the leg elastic between bub's leg fat rolls but my DD hasn't had one of those in her entire life (she's now 2 and would be lucky to top 11kg!).

Some places have suggested I go with prefolds for the first few months then swap to pockets/AI2s/AIOs. Any thoughts on this idea? I am leaning towards using mostly pockets/AI2s for ease of drying, and preferably a one size fits most for affordabiliy of not having to constantly upsize, if I can find one that won't leak. Some brands which have been suggested to me for slim built bubs are Itti Bittis, Little Britches, and the sized BBH ones. Has anyone tried these on slim bubs? Any feedback/suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a tall and skinny bub! She's almost 1 and has been in cloth since 6 months. I use a combination of GloBugs and Funkibums nappies and they fit pretty well. The GloBugs were too big until about 2 months ago, but the latest design does fit better.

The Funkibums are pretty basic and probably not much different to the ebay cheapies, but for $12 each I think they're pretty good. We havent had any issues with them at all and a friend who used GloBugs (previously called bugalugs) full time with her first has converted to Funkibums with her second due to the cost.

Having a skinny baby does make MCNs a bit more difficult when finding something to fit well.

I've heard BBH sized nappies are good but then you end up spending quite a lot of money as bub grows, especially considering they're not that cheap to start with!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

LiSkye  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prefolds are great for little bubs as you can get the fit nice and right so they fit exactly around tummy and legs. I bought mine (bamboo/cotton blend) from Nest Nappies and use them with Thirstie covers. These have gussets round the legs and if you get the Velcro ones, you can get a great fit round the waist. This is a pretty cheap way to start with cloth and then you could wait and see what MCNs might be best in a couple of months. Of course they're slightly more fiddly than MCNs but I've found them to be great (and quick drying too!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

LiSkye  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bbh petites.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

LiSkye  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anything with side snaps is great for skinny bubs (BBH Petites and many WAHM brands). My son is 11.5kg but has a tiny butt - he fits his 4-6kg swim nappy! I life side snaps and also Itti Bitti Tuttos ( OSFM). They have leg gussets and extra hip snaps to eliminate wing droop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kadorite For This Useful Post:

LiSkye  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Again recommending BBH Petites! If your baby is skinny then you won't necessarily be buying the next size up constantly anyway. I've found OSFM don't fit my DD so I ended up having to sell them, completely unused!

My DD wears BBH Petites and can now wear the night nappies. She's 4 months old and 3.7kg. She started wearing petites the day before she left hospital and was 2.5kg (she was 12weeks prem). We haven't really had too many issues with leakage (except when Daddy puts them on the wrong snap!)

I've sized them against itty bitty smalls and they are still huge for my DD so BBH Petites it is!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

LiSkye  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone
    Thank you so much for all your advice and feedback - hugely appreciated! I will certainly check out BBH Petites, GloBug, Funkibums, Itti Bitti Tuttos and the pre-fold options as per your suggestions. I can't believe how many options are out there these days! Wonderful choice but almost overwhelming when you're new to it! Polly6034: I'm actually planning to attend a Nest Nappy workshop this weekend in Bris so I'll look at the Thirsties etc too! Anyway, just wanted to let you all know how much your feedback is valued. If anyone else out there has anything to add your input is always most welcome. Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LiSkye View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Thank you so much for all your advice and feedback - hugely appreciated! I will certainly check out BBH Petites, GloBug, Funkibums, Itti Bitti Tuttos and the pre-fold options as per your suggestions. I can't believe how many options are out there these days! Wonderful choice but almost overwhelming when you're new to it! Polly6034: I'm actually planning to attend a Nest Nappy workshop this weekend in Bris so I'll look at the Thirsties etc too! Anyway, just wanted to let you all know how much your feedback is valued. If anyone else out there has anything to add your input is always most welcome. Thanks again
    Enjoy the workshop! I know you'll get a lot out of it!