+ Reply to Thread
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is 12 mths to old to understand 'No"

Mr 4 was a placid kid and a deep voice saying no made him stop what he was doing 95% of the time at 12 mths old.

Now Miss E, that's another story. Saying 'No' makes not one iota of difference. I say no, remove her hand. She still keeps attempting to touch the object that she is not allowed to touch. I end up removing her from the object, usually sitting her across the otherside of the room which she is not at all happy about.

Should she be understanding "No, don't touch" by now. She is 12 mths old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 14 month old is the same. She understands no perfectly well, however, her inner diva reigns and no is not an option to her.

So far I fail to know what to do about it, think my own mother gave up a while ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is almost 12mo, I'm pretty sure she knows what we mean when we say 'no'. If she's trying to get our attention she'll often crawl over to this one power point and sit next to it looking at us. When we look at her she starts reaching for it. We say 'no' and she stops, looks at us, laughs, and reaches for it again. Repeat. Lol. I usually either stand between her and the power point (she gets cranky) or I remove her completely and distract her with something else (she either gets distracted or bolts for the power point again, depending on her mood). She's just testing the boundaries, I think it's pretty normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they do know what no means, but are still unable to control themselves. So even though they know not to touch the powerpoints or whatever, the curiosity takes over and they still do Best to just remove the danger or remove and distract the baby.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    oops, Just realised my title should read "Is 12 mths too young to understand no?"

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunbun View Post
    I think they do know what no means, but are still unable to control themselves. So even though they know not to touch the powerpoints or whatever, the curiosity takes over and they still do Best to just remove the danger or remove and distract the baby.
    agreed.
    i think the impulse control develops around age 4, from what Ive read.