+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this silent reflux

De does the following is this reflux?
    Wakes up screaming
    Arches back and wnt let me burp her
    Throws up in her mouth and swallows it upto 2. Hours after a feed.

Recently she cries ans carries on and wnt bf properly either so have had to express to bottle feed her so she is getting fed.

She's 16w. The waking up screaming has been going on since she was maybe 2weeks old. She's my first bub so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Takes me a while to calm her down too.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Possibly. DS' presentation changed as he got a bit older. When he was tiny he would scream before burping and spitting up (he wasn't a projectile vomiter). It would take an age to get him to sleep. In the end the only place I could get him to sleep was upright in my chest. If I did get him the cot he would wake up within minutes burping or spitting up. He was impossible to burp. Just couldn't get the air up. He wasn't an archer but he would go stiff as a board and scream for hours inconsolably. He fed very frequently and towards the end was when we would start to arch backward with nipple still inside.

In hindsight a lot added up but i couldn't have told you all that when going through the thick of it. The biggest thing that I remember was that he was sad ALL the time...

If you have concerns, speak to a doctor. Acid reflux hurts. A lot.

If you are BFing it may be worth cutting out soy and dairy from you diet. Sometimes underlying dietary intolerances cause reflux and can make a big difference when removed. When you do, be 100% with it and give it two weeks to clear your milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds quite like it ... The crying during feeding can be because the milk is coming back up and it burns

I would go speak to gp ... There are medication that can help a lot

Thanks
    Reviews
    How have you gotten on? Sounds a lot like it to me. They can be refluxing quite a bit before the stomach acid kicks in. Stomach acid production starts somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks and they you really know about it.

If you can get onto the right meds and things early, it'll save you a lot of grief with breastfeeding. It won't necessarily stop the refluxing but it'll stop the burning.

More help available at info@reflux.org.au and www.reflux.org.au

Jo Matthews
    President
    Reflux Infants Support Association Inc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

I showed the doc a video of her at her worst and he said there us definitely an issue, gave me some losec and told me to try it and after a month if no improvement come back and reasses the situation.

I only have a Milo of an evening its the only dairy I have and even then its watered down. Surely that couldn't b enough to hurt or could it?

Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it could be to me. (my DD had it quite badly). In her case she was put on losec and that made all the difference in the world. I didnt give up milk products and I dont believe she had any allergy to them, although my friends kid did so its worth a shot. My DD grew out of it about 8 months when welll onto solids, although she occasionally still has a chuck when teething etc.
    I believe from what my friend did if bfing you have to cut dairy out completely, even milo unfortunately its even in things like cup-a-soup,I know how hard that is to eat well and not eat dairy when trying to nourish a little baby. With either silent reflux or if its a milk allergy definately go see a paed and get it checked out. And in either case you may have to keep trying for about 2-3 weeks to see changes, we had about 2 weeks on losec before it made the difference. Good luck I hope things get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your kid doesn't even need to have an allergy to respond to small amounts of milk, intolerance will cause problems as well. As an adult, a simple slice of cheese is enough to leave me gassy and bloated for hours and hours afterwards. Don't leave room for doubt. Just cut it out. You may need to ditch soy as well as the proteins that cause problems with kiddies with milk are similar in soy. If it isn't milk/soy then after two weeks you can have your milo. Like the PP said, watch also for hidden dairy in processed and packaged food too.

Are you getting the losec tablets or compounded liquid??