+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default insomnia!

Help!

I have a beautiful 10 week old DD who we have finally got into a sleep routine where she only wakes once or twice a night for a quick feed and then settles easily again. However, despite her sleeping soundly I seem to have developed insomnia. I lie there for hours attempting to fall asleep (despite being exhausted) or alternatively, I fall asleep and then can't get back asleep after the first feed (around 1 or 2). The last couple of nights I have ended up in tears and woke DH who attempts to comfort me but it's hard.

The G.P. prescribed me melatonin which stays in the blood****** for about 3 hours (DH feeds DD expressed milk so that my breastfeding of her is not affected). This seems to get me to sleep but not keep me asleep. Sometimes I just wake up randomly and don't know why and lie there for hours!

I'm familar with sleep hygiene and have tried getting up, warm milk etc. I posted this in the anxiety section because now I feel sick with anxiety when nights gets closer!!

Has anyone else gone thorugh this and can offer andy help or reassurance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Minnie you poor thing! Big hugs. I haven't experienced this while being a mum but did a few years ago. Do you find that your mind is racing with thoughts?? The reason I ask is that I found two things helpful - one was to write down everything that was in my head while my brain was going a hundred miles an hour it was just scribble and a lot if the time didn't make sense (wasn't supposed to though) it helped to calm my mind. The second was a systematic relaxation process - tensing and releasing each muscle in order is a good starting one - you can pm me for some more elaborate ones he you like.
    Hang in there - this will pass xx

Sent from my R800i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. I don't find my mind is racing with thoughts really but after I can't sleep for say 40 mins, then the panic sets in. I am now waking with night sweats even when DD is not up. I'll try the relaxation techniques. Last night I fell asleep ok but stayed awake from 2- 6. I woke my husband up hysterical which then makes me feel guilty for disturbing him too. I saw the GP again yesterday and have a referral to a psychologist. I can't take any medication due to breast feeding and don't want to stop unless I absolutely have to. Bit worried im developing an anxiety disorder though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Minnie just wondering how you're doing?

Sent from my R800i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for asking! Heaps better. Sleep is not ideal but there have been no more several hour stretches of wakefulness. I saw a psych yesterday who thinks I am definately curable. Ha ha! DD is sleeping better too and slept through the night last week (once). Now she still wakes once but I'm ok with that.I'm hoping I'm on the improve