+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lunch and Dinner ideas for a 16 month old toddler?

I know I should probably post this in the feeding section, but I thought I should try posting it here as it seems to get more foot traffic

DS is 16 months old and is a fussy eater. The texture, colour and smell of food all matters to him. He would look at the food first (he doesnt like green or yellow coloured food), then he would touch it (he doesnt like feel of meat), then he would smell it (He seem to like sweet smell), then he would attempt to eat it (if the food passes the test).

Breakfast is not a problem, he eats cereal, with / without milk. French toast, pancakes, fruit etc. He loves nutella, so when he wont eat something (toast with avocado) I would put a tiny bit of nutella on it, so he sees it and smells it.

He has yogurt and crackers, fruit and biscuits as snack and he loves them.

Lunch and dinner is what I am having problems with.

At the moment, he is addicted to noodles. I think because it long and fun to eat. I would make him noodles with vegetables or chicken and etc, but he would only pick out the noodles and wont even touch anything else. So for the past week, hes been having just plan noodles for lunch and dinner!

I would like to know what sort of lunch and dinner do you feed your toddler (as many ideas as possible please). Have you come across similar situations before if so how did you overcome it!
    Also if your child wont eat what you serve, would you cook something else to serve him or let him starve for the night ?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age ds barely ate but he was given what ever i was having,

Mostly he eats vegemite s/wich for lunch.

at dinner i serve what i have, if he does not eat it fruit or a sandwich is offered after his bath as i find he sleeps poorly otherwise

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have always just served up the same meal for our toddlers that the rest of the family are having. I have not really experienced this issue but some ideas are:

Sandwiches - salad, avocado, cheese, baked beans, hummus
    Toasted sandwiches
    Cut up veggies - cucumber, carrot, green beans, cauliflower with a dip for him to dip into (guacomole, hummus, tzaziki, etc)
    Soup in his favourite colour with wholemeal toast to dip in.
    Pick platter of cut up fruit, veg, cheese, nuts, etc.
    Stirfry with noodles and as many different veg as you can manage.
    Wholemeal spaghetti with a mince of tomato based sauce with plenty of spinach or other veggies blended in.
    Sushi
    Wraps. My kids will eat pretty much anything on mountain bread.
    Scrambled eggs
    If he like pancakes, how about savoury pancakes/crepes?

I think it might be a good idea to go easy on the nutella if he is fussy. JMO! I will think of some more ideas and post again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I just thought. It might sound weird but my kids LOVE a cup full of frozen veggies - peas, corn carrot, whatever! They always beg for a cup full when I am cooking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 16mths old and a little bit fussy, he doesn't like sandwiched so I have started to buy things like cheesy Mac, spinach and ricotta parcels and the new helgas thin bread, he seems to like all of that. For dinner he will pretty much eat what we are having eg tonight we had stir fry, it's a lot of trial and error but try not to cater to him too much otherwise you'll be stuck making separate meals that will add to your workload. DS also loves cheese (bega tasty sticks) and crackers for a snack and fruit mainly for deserts
    I'm also subbing for some new ideas too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!! We are at the point where it's exciting when she eats a whole chicken nugget!! Sigh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would he eat noodles with sauce or meat on them ( like spag Bol , the meat sauce will stick to the noodles) meat is quite a strong flavor for some toddlers so have you tried fish or chicken , fresh salmon or flat head fillets are great to try, would he eat carrot/cucumber/capsicum sticks with dips ( tzatiki, guacamole)
    Corn on the cob toddlers usually love or as pp said do you eat together or let him eat what you are having or let him pick off your plate?
    Homemade chicken or fish nuggets are a great lunch, eggs are great , make a little egg pancake and cut into strips so they are easy to hold or rice does he like rice you could make a fried rice for him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He doesn't like the taste of tomato, so he doesn't eat spaghetti bolognase we always eat together and I try to feed him what ever we are having, usually is I would cook what I think he would like and we will just have the same as him, he loves digging into my plate with a fork but not actually eating anything just digging for fun. He does love corn, but that's about it no other veggies seems to interest him. At one stage he loved fried rice but he is over it now. I have tried savory pancakes and he's no longer interested in it either. I feel like he's going to turn into a noodle or chips soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is also a bit fussy, some hits with him are scrambled eggs, tuna mornay with pasta (purée veg like pumpkin through it), corn thins with cream cheese, mozzarella cheese cubes, cottage cheese (onion and gherkin flavour only) on toast, puffed corn, puffed rice, frozen corn, pepitas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im lucky, my DS, 16m, eats every and anything, breakfast is our worst meal, but he is comming better!

Lunches he eiter gets left overs from the night before's dinner
    Toasted sandwhich/wrap - tomato and cheese is his FAV! but will also have ham/tomato, cheese/ham, shaved chicken breast etc etc...
    Easy Mac
    He does quite like the "Hienz kids" orange tins of food, loves their macaroni and meatballs, but they also do pasta chicken.
    Salad - tomato, capsicum, cheese, carrot, cucumber, beetroot etc
    Scrambled eggs
    Omlette
    Pancakes (u could put some puree fruit pouch in them if your DS likes them sweet)
    He LOVES frozen vegies, and corn on the cob
    We've just discovered he likes the flavoured rice cakes, however i try to not give him them often due to the salt.

For dinner he has what we have, heres a few things he's had recently..
    Tonight: Chicken mornay. Chicken breast, white sauce, frozen veg (U could puree them) and pasta. I also put the tiniest bit of curry in it, he LOVES it.
    Chicken nibbles (marinated from Deli at supermarket) and fried rice
    Roasted chicken breast and steamed veg - mashed potato, steamed pumpkin, carrots, peas and corn on the cob.
    Lasagne
    Home made wedges (I get the washed potato, leave the skin on, slice into wedges, either use baking paper or spray on a tray, bake in oven on about 200c until done. We also sprinkle some herbs over them like rosemary, thyme and basil. I also do him sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot too.
    Occasionally i give him a sausage which he LOVES
    Scone pizzas are a fav too. Make a batch of scones, but roll it out thinner, top like a pizza with whatever toppings, bake until toppings browning.
    Risotto of any kind
    He loves chicken drumsticks too. I just bake them in the oven, pull the skin off, and when he gets close to the bone, i pull the shard bone out.. He cleans it up really well!
    Savory Mufins go down a treat too. Its just 1cup each or SR flour, milk, cheese and 1 egg...then 1 cup of flavourings. Ive done frozen mixed veg and ham... Mix it all together and bake on 180c until brown, they will be squishy.. DS loves them, and u can freeze them. For us i do bacon and onion with salt and pepper.. Delicious!!

Mini quiche?
    The frozen bubble n squeak pattys are a hit, as are the birds eye vegie fingers.

He will eat ANYthing off a fork. We have some kids ones, and if it can be put on there, he eats it. If its not on a fork, finger foods are his next favorite. He doesnt like being fed by me much anymore.

What about a spinach and riccotta ravioli in a carbonara type sauce?
    In desparation, home made sausage rolls?? I puree HEAPS of vegies and mix them through the mince, DS has no idea they are there, and loves them. I dont need to worry about the fat in th pastry.. He doesnt eat it.

He does go through fussy stages though, but i figure he wont starve himself, and i do offer a few things before i give up (sometimes i dont feel like whats for dinner either!) I got him eating mashed vegies again when he was being really fussy by mixing about 1/2 tsp of cream cheese through them.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 21-07-2012 at 00:13.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-07-2012)