+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What to do when ex is not paying child support (but should be)?

Hi everyone,

I have a good friend who has had a baby 4 months ago. The father has not paid any child support but earns around $200,000 per year (yeah nice guy i know...). Anyway I remember reading on a thread last year that you could get an agency or centerlink to chase after the parent that owes unpaid child support? Does anyone know anything about this or even the name of the agency that does this?

She is such a fantastic mum and I really want to help her get the ball rolling. She has no idea what to do as this guy just won't pay.

Any info would be really appreciated, thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact the Child Support Agency ASAP. They will contact the father and ATO and come up with an assessment based on hers and the fathers income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When DH and I separated, we had a private agreement (but CSA were aware of it). He missed one payment so I was straight on the phone to CSA requesting we go through them. They immediately started taking money out of his wage every fortnight. I *think* they may have needed his permission though (although he swears black and blue he never gave permission). They could even take any arrears out of his tax when he lodges his tax return.

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok cool so CSA will take into their own hands? Or is it still up to her ex whether he wants to pay or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In my situation, CSA took it into their own hands, at my request. I don't know if it depends on the individual situation though? Either way, making them aware of it, something *should* be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it is not up to him to choose whether to pay or not. If he refuses there are a number of ways CSA can get the money, such as garnishing his wages or taking it out of his tax returns. It can be a real drama though and some guys go to extraordinary lengths to hide income and get away without paying... But she should definitely get them onto it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why is it then you get alot of singles complaining their ex never pays?? I thought people had years of unclaimed CS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unclaimed or unpaid? An order to garnish wages is only applicable to the one employer, so if they quit that job then the garnishing order ends and you have to go through the whole process again. If they never file a tax return then there's nothing to take it from. If they earn cash in hand and never declare income then CSA will assess them as not owing anything. Just a few examples, I'm sure there are other ways deadbeat parents use to avoid paying. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have to.
    Last edited by shelle65; 20-07-2012 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Why is it then you get alot of singles complaining their ex never pays?? I thought people had years of unclaimed CS
    Because while CSA have power to garnish wages, they often won't use that power. There are deadbeat parents who as soon as CSA catch up with them, they change jobs and so start whole process again. In my exes case, he just files false estimates and his paymaster often refuses to garnish his wages for CS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pay on time, every month. I pay a little extra, in case bills come in so that I can cover them. So I was surprised last year, when the CSA took my entire tax refund. They claimed as per my last statement, I was in arrears. This was not the case. I did not get the tax refund back, I needed to save the money equivalent to the refund to pay the gas and electricity bills, as they came in on time and I had to extend them over two months.

The CSA have not needed to get permission to take anything from me. They just do it.

What makes me sad is when I learn that my ex went away for a week, to an eco resort that I cannot afford to go to, leaving the kids with me. She immediately called the CSA on her return, crying poor and saying she had not received my payment. The CSA contacted me to confirm the monthly payment was in, then checked their own records. If they hadn't, she would have been paid again.

Do you know who cops the fee for the over payment? anyone?

I do. It may have been a late payment on my behalf, which caused the double up.

The CSA is good to make deadbeat parents pay. I just wish it didn't penalise me, when I pay every time on time.