+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't have twins, so I really have no idea what you're going through but let me tell you that they are still so little. My boy is 8 months old and sleeps through very rarely. He is often up twice a night for a feed and will only sleep for 30-45 minutes at a time during the day.

It really hit me at 6 months, so many people told me that he would sleep through by then but he isn't, and many of my friends with babies are in the same boat.

I was really struggling to settle him, so we went to sleep group two days ago and I know feel much better having some tips on how to prepare DS for sleep and to help him settle. Perhaps see your MACH nurse and talk to them?

Good luck, I hope you do get some more sleep soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not many babies sleep through the night before 6 months old....

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest (who is four) started to sleep through from 6 weeks, so it was surprising when these two didn't.

And to answer a few questions, they sleep in separate cots in their own room, which is beside ours. They were in our room in bassinets until they were two months old.

And Lineyb73 if they are only fed once during the night, do you simply settle them when they wake or do you give them water (as I've heard that some people do that to help get their little ones sleep through the night)?

And juf84 I have just started to think about the sleep school/group option. I am curious though, as to what a MACH nurse is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    MACH nurse - maternal and child health nurse .

We are only two days into our new 'routine' after sleep group and it is definitely helping.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i think some people are lucky and have babies that sleep through from 6 weeks, but it is definitely not the norm. My 10 month old still wakes twice a night at least and until 9 months he was waking every 2 hours.

There are things you can do to TRY to stretch it out to like 4-5 hourly wakes but that is what sleeping through means at your babies age, so if that is what you mean by sleeping through then maybe you could try sleep school. But if you mean you want them to sleep from like 7pm until 5am or something then I think it is a bit unrealistic for most babies.

I hope it all works out, it must be hard with twins.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOfTwins View Post
    My oldest (who is four) started to sleep through from 6 weeks, so it was surprising when these two didn't.

And to answer a few questions, they sleep in separate cots in their own room, which is beside ours. They were in our room in bassinets until they were two months old.

And Lineyb73 if they are only fed once during the night, do you simply settle them when they wake or do you give them water (as I've heard that some people do that to help get their little ones sleep through the night)?

And juf84 I have just started to think about the sleep school/group option. I am curious though, as to what a MACH nurse is.

If your baby is hungry, you should feed it. Not try to trick it with water.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (03-08-2012),ItWasntMe  (20-07-2012),Misschief  (20-07-2012),SAgirl  (20-07-2012),Sarelou  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have been extremely lucky to have had your oldest son to sleep through at such a young age, unfortunately your twins are different, which is normal.

I am not sure if a sleep school can offer you any solutions at such a young age.
    I remember wanting to take my 4,5mo DS to sleep school (Tresilian) and I was told they couldn't do anything for me until he was 6 months as before that age he was just too young :-\

Also, define "sleeping through". Some people think that sleeping through is 6 hours continuous sleep.
    Other people think it needs to be 8 or 10 hours.
    I thought DS was starting to sleep through when he started to sleep from 7pm-1am

I don't envy you having to do this with twins, but luckily you're not alone and you have BH to vent when your OH is at work. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My child is almost 3 and wakes 5-10 times a night. I think your twins are doing well to be only waking a few times a night.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (20-07-2012),mrswhitehouse  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend the American book "12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old". It's simple and doesn't involve controlled crying. I'm pretty sure they discuss twins in it. We followed it and DD slept 12 hours from 9 weeks old. You can buy the book on Amazon (I haven't seen it in shops here).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think 3.5 mi ths is very unrealistic to expect them to sleep through.

They r still so young and people with babies who sleep through from 6 weeks r just plain lucky.

I dont agree with denying them a feed at night and giving water instead they are obviously waking because they r hungry. Babies do that. It's normal.

My DS is 14 months soon and still wakes at night. He's not being fed overnight only because he is on 3 full solid meals per day.

It's exhausting, any mother would agree, I guess u just need to push through and rest when u can.

Do u have any family or friends who could help u during the day so u can rest?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (22-07-2012)