+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh thank goodness. Thanks for sharing Ana Gram.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    'traded persecution for sexiness' reads to me as wanting accounts of sexual assault to me.
    That's how I read it too. So on a page there would be a 'hot' woman in skimpy clothes/underwear or partial nude in a sexy, pouty, come hither pose with details of her persecution and sexual assault.

My DS is getting more and more inquisitive about the world and I'm trying to work out how to explain to him why there are so many magazines in the shop with photos of near naked women on the front and why woman are posed like they are. Thanks for that Zoo et al.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't being passive aggressive- I was stating a fact

Anyhow, the way I read it is, they are making fun of women who have been through horrible, horrendous things, war torn countries, sex assault etc etc. I don't care you who are, what you believe, there are some things that are off limits - and that is one of them.

If you did the substitution tests, and replaced any other minority instead of Refugee/Asylum seeker - I bet we wouldn't even be having this conversation and the outcry would be massive.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well how about you try something different: explaining the point in black and white english instead of doing the passive aggressive maneuver. I'll then tell you what I think. I may even agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. I don't believe all asylum seekers are genuine refugees.

2. I can't think of an over 18 who volunteers photos of their hooters for men to gawk at as being vulnerable. Other words come to mind and vulnerable is not one of them.

3. I can understand how genuine refugees may be offended: this is bad taste. To be honest though ones that would be offended probably wouldn't be reading zoo.

If you want to sign the petition go ahead, I can see why you would. At the same time it's my right to not sign the petition. No amount of veiled insults will change my mind.
    1. The legitimacy of Refugees/Aslyum seekers is not the debate here and this is the straw man of this debate.

2. Turning 18 does not automatically stop a person being vunerable.

3. If you can understand why genuine refugees may be offended ergo you can understand why other people are also offended. Being offended is not the sole propiety of the target competitors.

I signed the petition and circulated it as well. It is your right to not sign the petition, such is the nature of petitions, seeking a popular cohesive statement. I made no veiled insults, they were my opinions, but if the cap fits?

I am glad Zoo has dropped this foolish competition, but I wonder how the idea got so far as to be acted upon? Someone, or many someones at Zoo obviously lack social conscience
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 23-07-2012 at 08:34.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (23-07-2012),Atropos  (23-07-2012),beebs  (23-07-2012),Busy-Bee  (23-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2012),FiveInTheBed  (23-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I only just saw this. Appalling. So glad it's been dropped, but seriously, who on earth thought it was appropriate to begin with and then had it approved by someone else?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad they dropped it but I still find it sickening that these are the kind of people who are influencing young men these days

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-07-2012),Benji  (23-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by austmum View Post
    I'm glad they dropped it but I still find it sickening that these are the kind of people who are influencing young men these days
    And annoying that these magazines supposedly 'represent' men, I know a lot of men who are extremely embarrassed by this. My DP doesn't buy zoo and he stumbled across this and signed it and told me how absolutely disgusted he is. This will also put off some male readers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I wasn't being passive aggressive- I was stating a fact

Anyhow, the way I read it is, they are making fun of women who have been through horrible, horrendous things, war torn countries, sex assault etc etc. I don't care you who are, what you believe, there are some things that are off limits - and that is one of them.

If you did the substitution tests, and replaced any other minority instead of Refugee/Asylum seeker - I bet we wouldn't even be having this conversation and the outcry would be massive.
    I think the disagreement comes from differing views about what zoo were actually doing. Some think they were specifically seeking out sexual assault/other victims and were going to run their stories alongside pictures of their knockers. I do not believe this to be the case. I believe they were trying to find a gimmick to sell mags and ended up running a bad taste 'beauty competition.' Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know as I don't work at zoo or buy the magazine.

Would there have been uproar if it was a more respectable organization running the competition and not a 'men's mag'? The reason why I asked is because you mentioned if another disadvantaged group were substituted. And I remember seeing on the news a while back a "miss south sudan in Australia' competition. It targeted refugees and i think was run by the local southSudanese community in Australia. I think the purpose was to make the women who had been through a rough time feel like they were beautiful And could succeed. Now I'm not saying the zoo motives were the same (there were additional commercial and dirty old men perve factors) ... Just perhaps people have incorrectly assumed things about what zoo were going to do and their motives.

Anyway food for thought. Have a good day!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the disagreement comes from differing views about what zoo were actually doing. Some think they were specifically seeking out sexual assault/other victims and were going to run their stories alongside pictures of their knockers. I do not believe this to be the case. I believe they were trying to find a gimmick to sell mags and ended up running a bad taste 'beauty competition.' Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know as I don't work at zoo or buy the magazine.

Would there have been uproar if it was a more respectable organization running the competition and not a 'men's mag'? The reason why I asked is because you mentioned if another disadvantaged group were substituted. And I remember seeing on the news a while back a "miss south sudan in Australia' competition. It targeted refugees and i think was run by the local southSudanese community in Australia. I think the purpose was to make the women who had been through a rough time feel like they were beautiful And could succeed. Now I'm not saying the zoo motives were the same (there were additional commercial and dirty old men perve factors) ... Just perhaps people have incorrectly assumed things about what zoo were going to do and their motives.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...ks-to-new-low/

"
    A blurb published in the magazine - which hit stands last week - asked readers if they were "a refugee not even the immigration minister could refuse" and then gave details of a competition which requires entrants to submit their picture and a story about their "tragic past"."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Making fun of people who have been in awful situations is what I think the problem is here. I didn't personally think it was specifically asking for women who had been sexually abused - that isn't how I read it.

I read it as a smut magazine laughing about the torture that a group of women have been through. "we want to shoot you (but not with a gun)" Guffaw. Hilarious.