+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you buy when needing a car?

Was wondering as this is the next expensive thing you purchase after a house.

when you update your vehicle do you buy a new one or a secondhand one?

and is it common to get finance on a vehicle?

And what do you really think when a person just buys a new car and tell you they didn't finance it. do you really believe them?

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy new - I had my first new car for 16 years. Just updated with another new one. I financed both times but I'm sure there are people out there who can buy in full - just not me! lol

Sent from my R800i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was looking for a second hand car but the particular model I was after didn't actually devalue as much as others on the market so it was better for me to buy new. This was last year.

Honestly, I really don't see what is so special about owning it from new. I would have been just as happy with a second hand car in good condition that had a full service history.

Most people finance theirs I would imagine?? For practical reasons anyway - not having to come up with a lump sum of cash upfront but being able to pay it off.

DP and I bought mine outright. Not sure whether I care that others believe me or not, it wasn't hugely expensive - under $20k. It's not really anyone's business anyhowsers, they didn't pay for it haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We bought our second car earlier this year, but I consider it our first 'real' car purchase as we bought our first car from my inlaws.

I'm not a big fan of buying brand new - they lose so much value so quickly. So we bought second hand, but it was first registered in May '11, so when we got it it was only 8 months old.

It's definitely the most expensive thing we've bought after our house!

We didn't finance it - we used our savings, but in saying that we keep our savings in our mortgage so I guess you could say we put the car on the mortgage! But we didn't go the bank and ask for more money or anything.

I would believe people if they say they didn't use finance - we didn't, and why wouldn't we believe them? Everyone's financial position is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My husband and myself just upgraded both our cars to brand new ones. We picked new as the car I have holds it's value plus my old second hand car was drama after drama...
    We didn't finance either of our vehicles but were lucky to have the money at the time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We both get new cars every 3 years ( through the company ) always on finance as its totally tax deductible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We both get new cars every 3 years ( through the company ) always on finance as its totally tax deductible
    This is us as well. It is a totally different situation when financing business vehicles to private finance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's pretty un common to buy a new car with out finance...

My grandpa bought a new car recently and it took the sales man a bit to get his head around no finance haha apparently he kept saying 'but what company is lending the money?'

In the end grand pa said well money is comming from such and such a bank, from my own personal bank account that I opened when I finished university and got my first job'

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the past we always purchased our cars without finance but the last car we purchased (brand new) is under finance.