+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best Formula for newborns ?

My 3 week is on Heinz nurture gold, she gets pretty bad colic especially in the arvo which I give her gripe water for, she's generally pretty whingy, squirms alot while feeding and won't go down for long without waking up with what looks like a sore tummy. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if switching formula helped and too what? She's constipated and looks in constant pain and I can barely put her down without her screaming and I can't believe she hates baths!! What the?!?

Please don't turn this into a breast is best debate, she is FF for personal reasons. Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, firstly hugs, it must be so hard to see her in pain. I haven't had this experience but my DD2 had silent reflux and I started her on Nan HA Gold. It is 100% whey based and doesn't have the casein in it, which is sometimes harder for them to digest. Once we had her settled and I felt she *may* cope with one with the casein in it, I put her on Nan Pro Gold, which she is still on, but obviously now, Stage 2.

Good luck.

A.
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For DS I used nan pro.
    It was really good had no issues and found it easy for him to digest :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lou89,
    I had similar trouble but in my 30week bub. BF was not an option for a number of reasons and I was made to feel awful about giving her formula. Anyway after much pushing in the NICU we managed to get a script for a formula called Pepti Junior. The protein is broken down more so bub can digest more easily and pass more easily. You can get it over the counter but it's dear so if you get a script from a gp or paed you will get it way cheaper. Then when her tummy was sorted we very slowly tried other formulas (took a whole this bit) to see what agreed with her. Ended up with karicare in the end but the Pepti juniour was an absolute god send. Her tummy stopped blowing up like a balloon and she wasn't in pain.

Your bub may not need such a formula but it's worth asking the question. Hope you find something that works soon
    Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing! Were on EBM with formula top ups at night, using S26 gold. I dont know if its the formula or just her, but she refuses to lie flat and is suffering from alot of wind and hiccups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pilbarablossom View Post
    Subscribing! Were on EBM with formula top ups at night, using S26 gold. I dont know if its the formula or just her, but she refuses to lie flat and is suffering from alot of wind and hiccups.
    Try raising her mattress a little just with a rolled up / folded towel. Poor little thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's awful, she's just gone to sleep (in my arms) after screaming all morning, she projectile vomited on me in bed this morning. Yuk!! And I feel I spend most of the day burping her which is near impossible at times. I'm going to go have a look at the chemist today to see what else I could try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She could also have reflux / silent reflux, it sounds a bit like... Have you tried any wind drops with her ie. Infants Friend / Infacol? My GP also recommended Infant Gaviscon.

Hope you find a formula that sits well with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops forgot to also mention that Gripe water also helped us quite a bit. I think it combines all the air bubbles into one big bubble for bub to pass more easily. I wasn't too concerned of how it worked it just did for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my first bub was the same but I don't think as bad and I swore by gripe water. It does work but I think I need something more like a new formula that doesn't constipate her and scream all day like she's in pain.