+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Posterior positioning - when to correct?

Hi all! I'm 40+6 weeks pregnant today. My overdue baby is ROP (right occiput posterior). I know because I can feel hand movements in the front a lot, as well as to the sides a bit down low. Also from the bulging. And can even sometimes feel little bumps in the middle front, which I guess are feet or knees. Certainly no smooth long back.

Head is certainly down and it's all a bit skewed to the right, but at the back.

Ok, so my question is... with time running out, and knowing that my cervix is pretty ripe and my mucus plug just came out yesterday, and wanting to avoid AROM and syntocinon on monday...

Do I keep trying to correct baby's position (knee chest A LOT, always sitting with knees below hips, generally just leaning forward, using gravity whenever I can... which btw is all getting quite exhausting! I haven't reclined in days!)? Or do I go ahead and try stimulating labour with breast pumping and walking and blah blah blah (which does begin contractions but I know it won't start labour unless the baby and body are ready so no need to explain this to me)... and then when labour starts I'll have a better chance of baby moving due to the contractions? Problem is if labour starts for real and baby doesn't move, things aren't looking great. Big baby. 3rd degree tear last time. Awkward position. Long labour. Probably require epidural. blah blah blah.

If you want more background on the story I posted in the induction section here... http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...06#post6693106

I guess what I mean is, I've been avoiding those things which might start labour until baby moves. Including generally being on my feet too much as I don't want baby to engage in the wrong position. But... I actually feel that baby CAN'T engage where it is at the moment anyway and that labour won't start until it IS engaged (I have real reasons that led me to this conclusion)... which obviously leans me more toward getting it to move now. But who knows??? I really really don't want to be induced monday. I can see intervention after intervention looming if it comes to that.

Has anyone had any experience with getting a posterior (particularly right posterior) to shift successfully this late in the pregnancy before labour actually begins? Any tips? I've been trying!!! I felt baby shift slightly last night so I think that means it's not STUCK at least. Good sign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like you are doing all the things that were suggested to me to get my prosterior baby to shift. I wasn't able to get him to shift prior to labour and in actual fact was induced as I don't think he was in a position to put enough pressure on the cervix to start labour.

Once I started contracting he did rotate to an optimal position.

I know that being induced can lead to interventions etc but I can say that I had a super short labour (5.45hrs all up), was able to move around (even with IV and monitor which was cordless) and managed the pain with some gas during transition. So for me induction got the party started and wasn't as horrific as I thought it would be.

I wish you the best and hope all goes well. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first bub was ROP right till delivery. I was induced and a vacuum was used to rotate her out. At 4kg and 38cm head she had trouble rotating herself. I also needed an epidural to relax my pelvic floor and abdominal muscles to let her thru.

My second bub was ROP till delivery and I did every bloody thing to spin her around prelabour, during labour etc. She ended up turning herself around during transition and nothing was needed. But she was only 3.5kg and 36cm head.

Both my bubs didn't engage till just before delivery. They didn't even enter my pelvic space till labour started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Btw the only way my baby #2 turned around was me lying on my left side/tummy with my right leg all the way over and my knee at elbow level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Accupressure works. Google acupressure points for posterior positions. We do it in the hospital all the time, can be very successful. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both for the insights. It seems to me that baby will most likely shift during labour but I'll try my hardest to get it around before then! Rose&Aurelia, I have been sleeping like that since I figured out baby was posterior. Surprisingly, it's not uncomfortable with enough pillow to balance the right leg even tho it looks and seems so extreme!

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone who might read this in the future... but spending so long in knee chest was really, really hurting my back. I would adjust and stretch etc, but my belly is so big that it really pulled my back in so much and just wasn't good. The problem is you need to be in the position for a decent amount of time for it to be of any use, generally. So I made a modified version of THAT sleep arrangement just mentioned.

When I'm watching TV, or during the night if I feel baby is active, I lay on the very edge of the couch or the bed and let my tummy drop over the edge while I lean my right leg, completely off the couch/bed, on a large fit ball to balance. I use pillows or cushions for my head and behind my back if I need it. I find if I adjust it correctly, I can keep this pose for hours, with just a little stretching here and there for comfort. Belly is still using gravity hanging down. Back feels ok. And I try and open the cervix as much as I can by having the right leg far out over the fit ball. Sometimes it's not as comfy so I pull it in a bit but generally I have found this is the best position and has got the most 'action' over the last 24 hours so I'll keep doing it. I decided to try it because knee chest hurt so bad after a short while, and the laying position mentioned before seemed less effective because my tummy was resting so heavily on the bed and leaving not much room on the left for baby to 'swing' down anywhere.

It looks and seems completely awkward but it seems to work with little effort or discomfort. When I say work, I mean theoretically the boxes are ticked, and you can keep the pose for extended periods. Whether it works in moving baby is another story!

Just saw your post Ruby. Thanks! I have been starting to look into this and will do so more with your recommendation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Btw the only way my baby #2 turned around was me lying on my left side/tummy with my right leg all the way over and my knee at elbow level.
    Yep - this was a good position. I started on hands and knees and finished in the above position. Just adding that my bub was a touch over 4kg and head circ 38cm.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any tips. All I did want to say is that I wish the midwives had explained what having a posterior bub would mean rather than just off handedly saying that he was posterior.

I had no idea there was anything you COULD do about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem. Bubs didn't turn until her head was coming out!! I felt her whole body turn inside of me..weird!! With the burning & contractions that overpowered it!! But I'd didn't hurt..just felt funny lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, now I've really confused myself.

I did some intensive positioning since I last posted. As a result my body feels like it's had multiple work outs in one day, hence aching. Not great going into labour but I would prefer that over a long back labour. A hot shower does wonders anyway.

Baby has moved. Good. But now I'm utterly confused and can't figure out what position it's in. I know finding the head should be the easy part but I can't figure it out. I have to assume it's still down. I hope it hasn't flipped or something! I have only felt a few movements but need more to determine position. Feels like little hand/s on my left bottom of uterus... maybe. But the other thing I think I feel are legs pushes (very understated due to lack of space these days) in the upper/middle right. Those two can't happen together coz it seems contradictory so I've misunderstood something.

An ultra sound machine would be handy about now. If it has moved to a more favourable position I'll be over the moon so I can stop these acrobatic re-positioning moves and get on the bouncy vertical squatting 'get in that pelvic space please!' moves.

Would noticing less specific movement be a good sign? Meaning that the limbs may then be facing inward? It is still 'moving' so I'm not worried. But can't figure out the limb movements so easily as before.