View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Without knowing the family background it is very difficult to say.

Not all personality aspects are developed by parenting, there are other genetic, biological influences that play a part. I think in the majority of cases of criminality you will find damage done early on however it isn't always the case.

My guess is that there was drug and alcohol abuse involved leading to chemical changes and aggressive behaviour, whether or not there were also anger issues and abuse suffered during and a result of their childhood is unknown.

You would need to know more information.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 20-07-2012 at 13:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Im having a discussion with some people about the alleged killer of young Thomas Kelly in Kings Cross a few weeks ago:

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/teen-ac...719-22bpx.html

The victim, who was king hit and died, was barely 18, as was the alleged killer. The alleged killer also hit 3 other males the same night on a "spree."

I firmly believe that the alleged killer's parents have failed him, grossly and completely. Yet our legal system holds 18-year-olds, who are still physiologically, psychologically and emotionally children, totally accountable for their actions. Do you believe that in cases involving violent crimes from children/youths, parents should be held accountable on some level?
    No I don't. Some parents do the best to their ability and still end up children who are screwed up. I remember being 18 and knew right from wrong. I believe people including children need to be held accountable for their actions. I can't stand that argument that parents should be held accountable for everything a child does especially a friggen 18 year old. Sorry that's just ridiculous. If the parents have abused the child in anyway than they should be charged with that crime. In some instances an 18 year old knowing that they can do anything with no consequences except that their parents go to jail will behave in such a way.

You can't blame parents for every little thing their child does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    They only know right from wrong if their parents teach it to them!!!

If their parents don't teach it to them, then who is to blame? The parents!
    How do you know this? You are very judgemental of circumstances you know nothing about. You have no idea what his parents did or did not teach them. I know parents who have taught their kids right from wrong yet the children still chose to do the wrong thing.

You're completely right about the cut off. I believe the age should be lowered. If you murder someone stuff ya go to jail for life I don't care if you're 10 or 50.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    His juvenile record (if he has one- I'd be very surprised if he didn't) won't be counted in trial. They're wiped upon turning 18.

I think the more important question is: what should be done to reduce alcohol/drug related violence on our streets?

I don't think Sydney city's handing out lollipops at closing time will make a big difference, honestly.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 20-07-2012 at 13:51.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),Benji  (20-07-2012),Ulysses  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I believe the age should be lowered. If you murder someone stuff ya go to jail for life I don't care if you're 10 or 50.
    Were you being serious about age 10?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 18 he is more than capable of recognising that punching someone in the head just because you feel like it is not acceptable. I mean really, my 7 year old nephew knows it's wrong to punch someone. And I think that the biggest problem with psychology these days is that there are people out there that go "oh, he didn't know what he was doing, the areas of his brain that can process long term consequences hasn't developed properly yet."

He killed a man. He intentionally walked up to him on the street and punched him in the head for no reason whatsoever, he then walked away without a second thought to offer the poor guy any sort of first aid. He then proceeded to do it on at least 2 more occasions in the same night. He is lucky that he didn't kill 3 people.

I also disagree that it's only parents that teach children wrong from right, what about their school and teachers, friends, extended family and even the media.

I wonder if you would think differently about this if it was your child that had been killed because of some young thug.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),lovesushi  (20-07-2012),Rutabaga  (20-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Were you being serious about age 10?
    Depends what they do but yes. For example those kids who RAPED and MURDERED that 3 year old. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy whatsoever. Well that's not true I have sympathy for the 3 year old and their family

A kid who gets into a school yard fight and ends up pushing a kid who hits his head hard against a brick wall and dies - No
    Last edited by Renesme; 20-07-2012 at 13:58.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012),LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah - what about the Jamie Bulger case, sorry- but I have no sympathy for those two. I don't care what kind of home they came from, they are far too dangerous to be released - and yet they have been released with false identities so they never have to go through life being judged. And one of them is rumoured to be in Australia. Sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Depends what they do but yes. For example those kids who RAPED and MURDERED that 3 year old. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy whatsoever.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I know. When I start thinking about the Jamie Bulger case I can't stop thinking about it for days.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),LillyPonds  (20-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The Jamie Bulger case makes me so conflicted.

On one hand, it's devastating and I wish they'd been locked away for life.

On the other hand, trialling them as adults was one of the greatest miscarriages of justice ever, IMO.