View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i would more think the parents be held accountable by way of financial compensation than criminally charged

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012),Lilahh  (20-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    But there's a difference between 'wiping their hands of them' and being held legally responsible. I agree with the retof your post though!
    i more meant responsible as in financial compensation. so paying of medical/funeral costs / emotional damages etc

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012),Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    No. He's 18, he damn well knows that punching people is not right, even if he had a shoddy childhood that is no excuse for what he did.

He's an adult, not a child. 18 year olds know right from wrong.

I am sure he must've been under the influence of drugs or alcohol though, and I think drug/alcohol related violence is a massive problem these days that needs to be addressed adequately by the government.

The only people I feel for are Thomas Kelly and his family, as well as the other victims of Loveridge that night.
    This, exactly. Yes a child is the product of their parents, but at some stage that child must become an adult and assume responsibility. In this country, that age is 18. He may not have reached full emotional maturity, but at 18 he is well and truly aware of what is right and wrong. The decision to hit the victim that night was his and his alone, his parents (whether they be complete "bogans" or not) are not responsible unless they were there with him and told him to do it.

I also think if it were my child that had been punched by some random criminal, I would not give a damn about his age/upbringing/parents/socio economic status/race/creed/sexual orientation. All I would care about us my son went out with his girlfriend and didn't come home. It would break my heart, and hearing people say "I feel sorry for the perp" would only rub salt into the wound.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (20-07-2012),HarvestMoon  (20-07-2012),Lilahh  (20-07-2012),LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),SuperGranny  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't get my info from hollywood, same way I don't get it from my office work mate.

If you google psychopathy - heaps of (peer reviewed) studies come up. Of course, you need to go through and make sure you are reading substantiated studies, not just internet crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Please link the thousands of studies! Hollywood has grossly misrepresented psychopathy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (20-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So really what's being said here is that the perp hasn't been properly disciplined/ taught right from wrong as a child and now as a person in their late teens commits the worst crime and we want to punish his parents.... So we can teach his parents to be better parents next time?? what's next when/if he kills someone else is it societies fault for not disciplining him properly the first time, if we viewed all crime this way it would be a never ending cycle.... At 18 I sure knew right from wrong I also knew the effects of drugs and alcohol, none of this is an excuse for our actions, if not now when do people become responsible for there own actions.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wheaty For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (20-07-2012),SuperGranny  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyhow - if you read the rest of my posts you would see that I wasn't saying that your friend was wrong, just that you can't just say my friend said it therefore it is, you need to do your own research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    So, in the absence of any evidence, the parents of a youth or young adult who intentionally harms another person must be responsible as the behaviour must be due to upbringing?

I think that in a lot of cases it is due to upbringing, but it's dangerous to make blanket assumptions.
    Is your legally trained mind absolutely boggling at the evidentiary logistics of all of this?? Mine is!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    This, exactly. Yes a child is the product of their parents, but at some stage that child must become an adult and assume responsibility. In this country, that age is 18. He may not have reached full emotional maturity, but at 18 he is well and truly aware of what is right and wrong. The decision to hit the victim that night was his and his alone, his parents (whether they be complete "bogans" or not) are not responsible unless they were there with him and told him to do it.

I also think if it were my child that had been punched by some random criminal, I would not give a damn about his age/upbringing/parents/socio economic status/race/creed/sexual orientation. All I would care about us my son went out with his girlfriend and didn't come home. It would break my heart, and hearing people say "I feel sorry for the perp" would only rub salt into the wound.

i don't "feel sorry for the perp". More that i respect that he is still a child and that one day, however unlikely, my child could make a stupid choice too.

Science proves that their brains are not developed...history proves that prison turns kids like this into victims of rape and horrific violence which turns them into career criminals which is bad for everyone.

i'm not saying "don't punish them", i am saying don't destroy them. there needs to be a step between juvenile detention and adult prison for those who are 18-27, first time offenders.

like i said earlier..he would know rationally hitting is wrong, but being able to forsee consequences of death was unlikely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    i would more think the parents be held accountable by way of financial compensation than criminally charged
    That would make slightly more sense, although we would still see good parents bankrupt because of their adult child's actions. Doesn't sit right with me.

It's already unlawful to abuse/neglect a child. They should be held accountable if there is any abuse on their part - absolutely.

But 'good' parenting is subjective. Look at the arguments here about it!!!

I can't understand what saying to people "you have to be a 'good' parent or you're financially responsible if your adult child f*cks up" would achieve.

I'm the best mum I can possibly be. Whether my child becomes addicted to something later in life or suffers a mental health issue is out of my control. I've done the best I can - when he's an adult it's up to him to work out what is right and wrong.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about the troubled kids who do come from loving homes? Why should their parents, who do absolutely everything in their power to get their child help from a very young age with no changes to their child, why should they be held accountable? And yes, these troubled kids from very loving families DO exist. I know one personally and I witness the worry and stress that it brings to the whole family while they all work together to try and get the troubled kid help.

Unless there is a parenting license then there's no determining as to whether a parent has 'failed' or not; and forcing everyone to raise their children in one, uniformed manner, is a ridiculous notion that will never work, but is the only way that a parent could be held legally accountable for the actions of their child who is classed as an adult by the law.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),Benji  (20-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012)