View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it is scientifically proven that the brain does not fully develop until about age 25-27.

Yes, he knows right from wrong but the segments of the brain that can fully comprehend the consequences from actions are not developed. He would understand that hitting is wrong...but would not have been able to compute that "possibly, the person will die". I see it more as unintentional manslaughter. Yes, he meant to punch them (and that was wrong) but, he would not have thought he could kill someone.

I strongly believe that there should be a separate section of prisons for young offenders so that they are kept separate and safe from the other inmates, safe from rape and violence that happens EVERY day and night in prison.

Yes, i believe that the parents should share the responsibility for his actions. You don't get to wipe your hands of them just because they have a birthday. For eg when my ex cheated on me, my inlaws felt responsible (even though he was 30) because they felt it must have been the way he was raised. It doesn't matter that he is grown, he was a sum of his upbringing and experience.

Sometimes, it is about the dominant discourse of the area they are raised (someone used the example of the treatment of the cameraman) and this can be hard to combat as a parent.

Sometimes, regardless of upbringing, kids can make really stupid choices and mess up...like this kid has. BUT, putting him in prison with violent offenders that will destroy him...is not the answer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (21-07-2012),Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    ..and even if it were true (re. the psychopath being made not born.) Can we also blame the grandparents? They raised the parents who then went on to teach their kids.

When does the responsibilty end? What age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So, in the absence of any evidence, the parents of a youth or young adult who intentionally harms another person must be responsible as the behaviour must be due to upbringing?

I think that in a lot of cases it is due to upbringing, but it's dangerous to make blanket assumptions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not saying that that isn't the case OP, but what I mean is - you just believe something because someone told you. Whereas, if someone told me something like that, I would read up on it both sides of the story and then make my decision as to what I thought was true or not. There are studies that show some are made and some are born.

Usually I don't take what someone tells me as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Wait, your office mate is one person writing her PhD, as opposed the the thousands of studies already out there that say the opposite? So you are going to disregard possibly thousands of studies done, because someone you know, who is a student says it isn't so? Wow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    it is scientifically proven that the brain does not fully develop until about age 25-27.

Yes, he knows right from wrong but the segments of the brain that can fully comprehend the consequences from actions are not developed. He would understand that hitting is wrong...but would not have been able to compute that "possibly, the person will die". I see it more as unintentional manslaughter. Yes, he meant to punch them (and that was wrong) but, he would not have thought he could kill someone.

I strongly believe that there should be a separate section of prisons for young offenders so that they are kept separate and safe from the other inmates, safe from rape and violence that happens EVERY day and night in prison.

Yes, i believe that the parents should share the responsibility for his actions. You don't get to wipe your hands of them just because they have a birthday. For eg when my ex cheated on me, my inlaws felt responsible (even though he was 30) because they felt it must have been the way he was raised. It doesn't matter that he is grown, he was a sum of his upbringing and experience.

Sometimes, it is about the dominant discourse of the area they are raised (someone used the example of the treatment of the cameraman) and this can be hard to combat as a parent.

Sometimes, regardless of upbringing, kids can make really stupid choices and mess up...like this kid has. BUT, putting him in prison with violent offenders that will destroy him...is not the answer.
    But there's a difference between 'wiping their hands of them' and being held legally responsible. I agree with the retof your post though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do agree, smileygirl, that young offenders especially for a first crime should be in a separate prison from the more 'hardened' criminals. I do believe the violence that occurrs there breeds more violence and can make fairly tame criminals leave the facility worse than before they entered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's 18 and i wouldnt give a hoot if he was 15 , he's old enough to know if you hit someone that is wrong! He deserves what he gets, he's not 2 so no it is not his bloody parents fault.
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for the victim and his family. He was minding his own business and gets king hit out of know where and dies.

How is this the parents fault and why should they be accountable? This 18 year old not only hit people before the victim but went on and continued after seeing all the commotion.

Why was he out there by himself was he kicked out of a club for being too intoxicated??? I can't imagine he had gone in there by himself.

These were deliberate attacks on innocent people. He was looking for a fight and to cause someone harm. You don't just swing punches for the hell of it.

Regardless of their upbringing we are taught right from wrong. Schooling should have played a part in teaching as well as the parents.

And what about the friend assaulting that camera man? The whole group of them have no clue.
    Last edited by LillyPonds; 20-07-2012 at 13:30. Reason: Spelling.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LillyPonds For This Useful Post:

Amira  (20-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (20-07-2012),SuperGranny  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please link the thousands of studies! Hollywood has grossly misrepresented psychopathy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    OP what would charging parents achieve? If there is no risk of them going on violent rampages, I'm not sure who this is supposed to protect or really what it would fix or even prevent????

More overcrowded prisons? Longer trials? Court systems under more pressure than usual?

I'm not even sure what you are getting at (please explain).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (28-08-2014)