View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    It's not as black and white as that?? As much as I hope we can teach our kids to be perfect, it's just not possible. All people make mistakes....even if they know right from wrong, people make bad choices.
    I believe in mistakes and bad choices and not expecting people to be perfect.
    I don't believe a violent assault spree resulting in murder is an accident, mistake, simply a bad choice, or not being perfect! It's a violent assault spree resulting in murder!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (20-07-2012),SuperGranny  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Ps- you don't have the questions in your poll - "the adult is responsible for their own actions".
    Thats because I specifically asked about child/youth perps. Not adult perps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I don't believe a violent assault spree resulting in murder is an accident, mistake, simply a bad choice, or not being perfect! It's a violent assault spree resulting in murder!
    Absolutely. But how much do you know about him or his parents??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I'm not sure this is even an adult vs child thing. The truth is - most of us, regardless of our upbringing, know that you don't go around punching people all night. Even, if he was only 12 or 13 on some level he would know. That is our society - you do the wrong thing you go to jail etc.

It sounds like he was on drugs or something - not that I've heard anything, just the pure aggression he was displaying.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thats because I specifically asked about child/youth perps. Not adult perps.
    But he isn't a child - he is an adult. Wether you acknowledge it or not, he is legally and adult.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (23-07-2012),LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious to know how you suggest proving whether a parent has taught their child right from wrong.

Do you call witnesses from 15 years ago who observed the child do something wrong and the parent not say anything? Put the parent on the stand and cross-examine them on whether they punished their child for things in the past and make some sort of objective assessment on whether that punishment was sufficient? It's all so speculative.

I doubt there is anything that could prove the parents' responsibility beyond reasonable doubt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep...it is more than likely he was drinking heavily or maybe on drugs - sometimes one bad decision leads to another.

I don't know where the blaming of the parents stops really...a kid runs wild in the supermarket - bad parent. Gets bad grades - bad parents. Drinks too much - bad parent. Does something unthinkable - bad parent. Where does it end?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont get me wrong. He should be punished. It would be terrible for him to go away for 20 years, but he should be punished.

I just believe the parents should also be held accountable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Yep...it is more than likely he was drinking heavily or maybe on drugs - sometimes one bad decision leads to another.

I don't know where the blaming of the parents stops really...a kid runs wild in the supermarket - bad parent. Gets bad grades - bad parents. Drinks too much - bad parent. Does something unthinkable - bad parent. Where does it end?

LOL how can you compare bad grades and a violent spree that killed somebody
    LLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree with this. Which is why he alone should be held accountable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (20-07-2012)