View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be legal consequences for them if they are guilty, I was just countering the view that their home life is irrelevant. A child's home life is clearly relevant (from a legal and moral perspective) in cases like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry that reply was to E's mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I absolutely never said it was irrelevant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be legal consequences for them if they are guilty, I was just countering the view that their home life is irrelevant. A child's home life is clearly relevant (from a legal and moral perspective) in cases like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You said it is no excuse, I took that to mean it is irrelevant. Sorry if I misinterpreted, I can see where you're coming from now

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    So are parents to blame for this disgusting attack by two young teenage girls in Townsville?
    I personally am sickened to read stuff like this and think they should throw the book at them, even if they have a shocking homelife - it is no excuse.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...f-autistic-boy
    Fair enough their crappy home lives may have helped mould them into turds. But I don't care: they would have known this was wrong and rhe victim deserves justice They are horrible little bit@hes and are a danger to society. Throw the book at them and don't let them out until a psych says they are no longer a danger to others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

share a book  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blaming home life sets a precedence that it is "ok" to break the law of your childhood is not 100%. If it is the law not to do something it's pretty clear it's wrong no matter how you grew up.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (22-07-2012),MissMuppet  (22-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-07-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    forgive me as I havent read the whole thread.
    I believe he is criminally responsible and should serve his sentence. His parents should be financially responsible for compensation/damages to the victims family.(as I doubt he has any assets)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think he should be FULLY responsible for his crime. If his parents abused, neglected him, I feel bad for him and I think they should be responsible for abusing/neglecting a child (if there's enough evidence/ witness) but they shouldn't be responsible for him going out punching and killing people.

We have quite a lot of young mothers on this forum and they are sure more mature than many older people, they would be mortified to hear that they're considered "children" or not fully mental developed.

If you want to punish the parents, do you think the grandparents should be punished too, or the kindergarten carer, teachers, friends, celebrities etc... who both contribute to some part of a person's development?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012),MissMuppet  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This maybe not very relevant but I grew up in a third world country. We were (and still are) very poor, parents can't have all the time to take care of their children, many of us were exposed to some sort of abuse, don't have good education environment, not much supporting program from the government and the health system. I was somewhat neglected as a child and so were many of my friends. Did we turn out to be criminals? No!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is very relevant I think.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    This maybe not very relevant but I grew up in a third world country. We were (and still are) very poor, parents can't have all the time to take care of their children, many of us were exposed to some sort of abuse, don't have good education environment, not much supporting program from the government and the health system. I was somewhat neglected as a child and so were many of my friends. Did we turn out to be criminals? No!