View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not sure if it's true or not but DH just told me one of his clients told him today the alleged killer was released 6 months ago from a juvenile detention centre for glassing and seriously injuring other boy ( a friend of this clients son) and seriously injuring him , if it is true this kid obviously was not rehabilitated and drunk or not seems to like attacking random people and definitely knows its wrong
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 21-07-2012 at 22:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If that is true, well I shudder to think, how is 6 months enough for glassing someone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Not sure if it's true or not but DH just told me one of his clients told him today the alleged killer was released 6 months ago from a juvenile detention centre for glassing and seriously injuring other boy ( a friend of this clients son) and seriously injuring him , if it is true this kid obviously was not rehabilitated and drunk or not seems to like attacking random people and definitely knows its wrong

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

share a book  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He is 18 years old, he is an adult, he punch four people and killed one. In this case I absolutely am black and white, he needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. He obviously has no regard for anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    Beebs....everyone is different, your idea is too black and white. I could drink a lot and seem "normal" where when others tried to drink that amount would be on verge of blood poisoning.

We are all different, you cannot make it so simple.

People speed everyday and do not kill people.
    People speed once and kill themselves or others.

People go skydiving and live to do it again
    People skydive and die.

You cannot make it so simple, it seems to me he was a bit screwed up that night.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (21-07-2012),Ms Fawn  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yup, pretty much what I was saying. But I was also saying you can't blame your bad behaviour on alcohol - at some point you have to take ownership of your bad actions- especially if you hurt people and someone dies.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps Beebs was getting at that it can't be alcohol alone that cause this fellow to behave this way. It could have been alcohol and mental illness, alcohol and drugs, or my bet alcohol and just being a dip$hit of society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    If that is true, well I shudder to think, how is 6 months enough for glassing someone!!
    He was released 6 months ago, he got 18 months for the glassing, he was 16 at the time ( apparently)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So are parents to blame for this disgusting attack by two young teenage girls in Townsville?
    I personally am sickened to read stuff like this and think they should throw the book at them, even if they have a shocking homelife - it is no excuse.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...f-autistic-boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    What kind of kids do that??? That's frightening they were 13 and 14 !!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anybody would be sickened when they read that, but to say that their home life makes absolutely no difference (and in this case we don't know what their home life is like) is a little short sighted.

What if these girls have been subjected to years of emotional and physical abuse? You don't think that would be a contributing factor to their alleged crimes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would but where do you draw the line? They still abused an innocent boy, if they are capable of that at 13 one can only imagine what they would do as adults?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not saying it makes no difference, I am saying it just can't be used as an excuse. I know so many people who have had shocking home lives, and some have died because of it (suicided, drug overdoses etc), others have become junkies, prostitutes etc. But not one of those people have ever killed anyone, or assaulted special needs kids.

That shows a complete lack of empathy and that is scary. The psychologist may be able to answer me a question, if you have no empathy for others, is that something that can be changed, can you re-learn as it were (if it is due to abusive childhoods I mean).

When I say throw the book at them, I don't mean throw them in jail and throw away the key - they obviously need some serious rehabilitation, but for whatever reason our justice system sucks - and they won't get any help inside, they'll be out of juvie in 18 months at the most and then they will probably go on to re offend.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Anybody would be sickened when they read that, but to say that their home life makes absolutely no difference (and in this case we don't know what their home life is like) is a little short sighted.

What if these girls have been subjected to years of emotional and physical abuse? You don't think that would be a contributing factor to their alleged crimes?