View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Nobody has said that, we were discussing whether his parents are also to blame. Everyone is saying he should be punished for murder.
    Sorry typing error I meant I know you think he should be punished[/QUOTE]

Ahh right, thanks for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was a mother by that age.
    Most are making life choices and career choices.
    IMO if you come from a crappy home you CHOOSE to either be a crappy person or a decent person.
    Society shows you what's right not just your parents and by letting him blame his childhood it shows everyone that you can do stupid things and not be held accountable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Actually, I have to disagree with you there.
    I wouldn't punch someone in the head at 10, 18, 22, 30, or 90 unless it was sheer self defence. I would make the same choice no matter what, because I know that physical violence is wrong.

In my opinion if a 5 year old can know that punching someone in the head is bad and wrong, an 18 year old DEFINITELY should.
    Even if his parents didn't teach him that he could not possibly fail to know unless he'd been living under a rock with no contact with society at all.

but that is you, you don't punch people...fine

I am talking in your EVERYDAY life...between the ages given, you WILL have grown, matured, learned from experience and physical development how to make better decisions and be able to see things from a wider range of perspectives...have better impulse control etc etc etc

I would never punch people in the head either...it's not something that comes onto my radar...but people are different. Does not change the point that a 10 year old does not have the same ability to reason as an 18 year old...and an 18 year old have the same as a 28 year old.

I don't care if you have kids/lived out of home blah blah blah blah...as YOU mature, you grow, your brain completes it's development and you become better able to utilise your mind and experience to make better decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    No one is to blame for any single person's behaviour except themselves.

Perhaps society, which does not teach personal responsibility for behaviour, and that preaches entitlement without earning it, and encourages running before walking, and rights before responsibilities......

perhaps they are the ones to blame.....
    Really well said!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

Eko  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Now I know you are trolling.

Good one.

In any case, unless you are the individual's psychologist, and even then you don't always find out, you will never really know the extent of what a parent does or doesn't do to their child. Parents of serial killers have a strong motive to not disclose terrible parenting choices they may or may not have made.

I still firmly believe anti-social personality traits are created. The mentioning of the Bulger case is another relevant one. They sodomized poor little James: no 10 or 12 year old knows how to do that without being taught. Extreme sexual and physical violence are taught to children, they are not innate.
    I'm going to have to disagree here. Of course some traits ate learned, but not all. Some people are just inherently bad. I'm on my phone so I can't provide a lot but here is one quick link (if you google his name you'll find more) http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...312-1utxv.html
    I knew this guy, I grew up with him. His parents were lovely, warm, caring people. They were always so enchanted with their son and never failed to tell him how lucky they were to have found him. He had everything he could have needed or wanted. They were fairly wealthy (I think I remember his inheritance was around $1 million), and he went to one of the best private schools in the area. He was adopted at a young age and told me once that Bill and Pam were the only people he remembered.

Didn't stop him from killing them though.

And yes he had help, and yes he was possibly influenced by his accomplice, but at 21 he still killed his parents.

Some people are just bad people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with you eviesmum. I too know the parents of a cold blooded murderer and they are the loveliest people! Sometimes it doesn't matter what kind of upbringing these people have. There is just something bad in them!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

eviezmum  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im having a discussion with some people about the alleged killer of young Thomas Kelly in Kings Cross a few weeks ago:<br />
    <br />
    http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/teen-ac...719-22bpx.html<br />
    <br />
    The victim, who was king hit and died, was barely 18, as was the alleged killer. The alleged killer also hit 3 other males the same night on a "spree."<br />
    <br />
    I firmly believe that the alleged killer's parents have failed him, grossly and completely. Yet our legal system holds 18-year-olds, who are still physiologically, psychologically and emotionally children, totally accountable for their actions. Do you believe that in cases involving violent crimes from children/youths, parents should be held accountable on some level?

At age 18....no

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard yes you do develop more from 18. However over 18 you are regarded and treated fully as an adult in this society most people are finished school or in their final year many are working full-time and many have moved out of home. Kieran Loveridge is fully responsible for his own actions no one else. However like any of of any age if he didn't mean to kill Thomas Kelly perhaps he will get to plead guilty to manslaughter instead but time will tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That may all be true, but you can't honestly say that an 18 year old doesn't know that punching people in the head is wrong.

I can see that some people are bad parents, some people really shouldn't be parents. I get that, and in cases of neglect and abuse then yeah, maybe the parents should be punished as well. But, I still maintain that sometimes you can be a great parent and still have kids that go off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    but that is you, you don't punch people...fine

I am talking in your EVERYDAY life...between the ages given, you WILL have grown, matured, learned from experience and physical development how to make better decisions and be able to see things from a wider range of perspectives...have better impulse control etc etc etc

I would never punch people in the head either...it's not something that comes onto my radar...but people are different. Does not change the point that a 10 year old does not have the same ability to reason as an 18 year old...and an 18 year old have the same as a 28 year old.

I don't care if you have kids/lived out of home blah blah blah blah...as YOU mature, you grow, your brain completes it's development and you become better able to utilise your mind and experience to make better decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, just wow, that is so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree here. Of course some traits ate learned, but not all. Some people are just inherently bad. I'm on my phone so I can't provide a lot but here is one quick link (if you google his name you'll find more) http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...312-1utxv.html
    I knew this guy, I grew up with him. His parents were lovely, warm, caring people. They were always so enchanted with their son and never failed to tell him how lucky they were to have found him. He had everything he could have needed or wanted. They were fairly wealthy (I think I remember his inheritance was around $1 million), and he went to one of the best private schools in the area. He was adopted at a young age and told me once that Bill and Pam were the only people he remembered.

Didn't stop him from killing them though.

And yes he had help, and yes he was possibly influenced by his accomplice, but at 21 he still killed his parents.

Some people are just bad people.