View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    No one is to blame for any single person's behaviour except themselves.

Perhaps society, which does not teach personal responsibility for behaviour, and that preaches entitlement without earning it, and encourages running before walking, and rights before responsibilities......

perhaps they are the ones to blame.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...urora-colorado

This man is 24, what age was said our brains are developed? Are gis parents at fault as well???

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Blame the offender not the folks that have birth to him.

Perhaps the parents were ar$eholes and this impacted the offender. Regardless he should be taken off the streets as he was either guilty, knew what he was doing and is a danger to society OR is mentally ill, didnt know what he was doing and is a danger to society.

I don't think the parents can be blamed. Sometimes parents are good people but the kids turn out to be turds because of the company they keep.

For the folks that say 18 is still a kid:
    - how old was Jessica Watson when she sailed the world solo?
    - why is 18 old enough to fight and die for your country in the military ... But not old enough to know that killing someone is wrong?

In summary: unless someone has mental issues 18 is old enough to accept responsibility for murder. Either way lock them up if a jury says they are guilty!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Lilahh;6705679]It's very sad that people you like think that just because there are people and systems in place who believe in punishment AND rehabilitation for offenders; who don't believe in treating them as evil, and believe in trying to help them so they don't hurt others again someone how insults the victim.

Terribly sad.

^^^^ you don't make alot of sense.

Let's just agree to disagree, you seem very argumentative & as a previous poster said quite an aggressive debater.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I blame my parents.
    Well at least your children will also be able to blame you then if they ever do anything wrong.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beck87 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (21-07-2012),beebs  (21-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm. With the argy bargy going on I can see both sides. Sometimes parents are abusive, negligent ar$eholes who raise little crims. They themselves should be charged with being $hithouse parents. That being said 18 year is old enough to know right from wrong regardless of whether your parents were bad.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (20-07-2012),austmum  (21-07-2012),beebs  (21-07-2012),Benji  (21-07-2012),Lilahh  (21-07-2012),Rutabaga  (21-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (21-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So why doesnt every person who had bad parents, whether it be abusive, neglectful etc, turn out to be killers, idiots etc.
    How is it the parents fault when there are other people who have similar up bringing but choose a different path in life. It is all an individuals choice.
    Blaming parents is such a cop out and shows that in this age no one takes responsibility for their own actions. It's always someone else's fault. Even if he was under the influence of drug and alcohol no one forced him to take it, no one held a gun to his head, the first time you take drugs you know it's addictive.
    Why not blame the victim for being there, or ambulance not getting there fast enough or why not blame society as a whole for bringing up such delinquents that don't respect others.
    I know your saying he shouldn't be punished but you can't lay blame anywhere but with him because where would the buck stop. It's not like this is the first time this kind of thing has happened and I'm sure he would have seen or heard of it so fully knows what happens. It's like shooting someone and then saying well I didn't know if I shot him he would die.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-07-2012),GuestMember  (21-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Beck87;6705885]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Let's just agree to disagree, you seem very argumentative & as a previous poster said quite an aggressive debater.
    Your replies have also been aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I know your saying he shouldn't be punished
    Nobody has said that, we were discussing whether his parents are also to blame. Everyone is saying he should be punished for murder.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    If people can honestly tell me that they feel they could make the same decisions at 10...18...22 to when they are 30...i would feel very very sad for them. I would also think they were lying.
    Actually, I have to disagree with you there.
    I wouldn't punch someone in the head at 10, 18, 22, 30, or 90 unless it was sheer self defence. I would make the same choice no matter what, because I know that physical violence is wrong.

In my opinion if a 5 year old can know that punching someone in the head is bad and wrong, an 18 year old DEFINITELY should.
    Even if his parents didn't teach him that he could not possibly fail to know unless he'd been living under a rock with no contact with society at all.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-07-2012),lovesushi  (21-07-2012),VicPark  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nobody has said that, we were discussing whether his parents are also to blame. Everyone is saying he should be punished for murder.[/QUOTE]

Sorry typing error I meant I know you think he should be punished