View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, duplicate!
    Last edited by soon2bmumzy; 20-07-2012 at 17:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post

Just saying some blame might be owed to his parents.
    No you weren't, what you actually said was this

"I firmly believe that the alleged killer's parents have failed him, grossly and completely. "

And one person has agreed with you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but please read this link: http://www.mamamia.com.au/news/thomas-kelly-killed/
    mentioning the accused name (and possibly googling him) may not be very helpful to the case, and it would be awful if he got off Scott free.

And back on topic, of course his parents share the blame, they should have raised a kid who wouldn't kill. Fairly simple isn't it?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Sociopathy can be both nature and nurture. Some are from terrible homes and are abused. Others come from great homes with parents that have said their child was troubled and 'different' from birth.

I try to put things in perspective and remember there is context to anything. But murder is the worst possible crime imo alongside a pedophile. If we are going to hold parents responsible, how do we deal with those that were born 'bad'? Should a parent be punished for having a child whose brains are wired wrong? (much research says the brain of a sociopath is different so they don't feel empathy or guilt).

I think that's a slippery slope. Someone mentioned an in between of juvenile detention and jail for 18-25 year olds. I would support that. We aren't talking about smoking a bong or getting blind, we are talking about taking someone's life so I do believe there has to be consequences...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Loveridge whether 17/18 is responsible for his own actions.

Kids know right from wrong from a young age. But in society 18 is supposedly when u become an 'adult' I guess coz it's around the age you finish high school?

And of course the legal drinking age.

I do think the way parents bring up their kids also plays a part. I mean if kids are not taught morals etc then they form their own based in people they hang out with or their life experiences.

Each person should be held accountable for his/her own actions. Everyone in life has a choice and he chose to punch people.

It's a known fact that many people go out at night specifically lookin for fights. Wether it's coz they are bored or angry at the world, I don't know. Maybe a bit of both, but Loveridge should be held responsible for his actions regardless.

He may have had a terrible upbringing and perhaps something like this could have contributed to his awful act but at the end of the day, Ed old enough to know that hitting people unprovoked is wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can't blame your mummy forever.

As far as I'm concerned his mum and dad did not deliver that fatal blow. He did. And he should be punished . No one held a gun to his head...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (20-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always have in the back of my mind: "Im raising future adults here." If you accept that your job as a parent is to raise future adults, and you raise an adult who kills somebody, you did a bad job.

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No you weren't, what you actually said was this

"I firmly believe that the alleged killer's parents have failed him, grossly and completely. "

And one person has agreed with you
    You do a lot of inferring.

"I firmly believe that the alleged killer's parents have failed him, grossly and completely - and therefore they are at least partly - not solely - to blame for producing a murderer."

Two different, but related points.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 20-07-2012 at 19:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (20-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Woah no way The parents are in no way to blame.

I used to work with offenders and you would be surprised by the backgrounds of some. I remember one who had incredibly supportive, loving parents from a nurturing home - one of their sons was top of the class, did a uni degree and had never committed an offence. The other was in jail at 19 for a string of offences...he got caught up in the wrong crowd. Peer pressure plays a huge role, particularly at that age.

It was actually really sad, they were very heartbroken by the whole situation

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I will have to go back and read all the posts but can I just say quickly that it must be just simply devastating (in different ways) for both sets of parents

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Woah no way The parents are in no way to blame.

I used to work with offenders and you would be surprised by the backgrounds of some. I remember one who had incredibly supportive, loving parents from a nurturing home - one of their sons was top of the class, did a uni degree and had never committed an offence. The other was in jail at 19 for a string of offences...he got caught up in the wrong crowd. Peer pressure plays a huge role, particularly at that age.

It was actually really sad, they were very heartbroken by the whole situation

Was one of the offences murder? I never worked with a child who had committed a violent crime (sexual assault or assault with a weapon) who hadn't been abused or neglected.