View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    kucingcantik, Im sorry your sister has had a rough trot. However, Im not trying to explain your sisters delinquency or blame your parents for it: Im talking about murder. I believe there is a gigantic difference between being a teenage delinquent and being a teenage murderer.

No-one has yet pointed to a case of a teenager who murdered another who didn't come from a damaged home. I really don't want people to think I'm saying lets hold parents accountable for every single thing their children does, because obviously that's a slippery slope.

But when your child/youth MURDERS somebody, then I believe parents should be taking long hard looks at themselves. Because I believe in THAT instance, and THAT INSTANCE ALONE there is really no doubt that the parents have failed their child. We have performance indicators/reviews for every single job on Earth. Why not the most important job? Surely it's not outrageous to propose a performance review of a parent whose child murders one, or multiple people: it would teach us a lot about what not to do. Especially if they have other children still at home!

I personally don't think the parents should be legally accountable, but I believe they are accountable. If my son murdered another teenager, I gotta say, I would blame myself.
    I question any blanket statement like that.

For example, my brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was 18 (now 26). Thankfully he is on an involuntarily treatment order for his medication (fortnightly injection), however there have been a couple of times where he has gone to the mental health tribunal and they have put him back onto tablets (which he can avoid by not taking).

During those unmedicated times, and even sometimes during the medicated times, he expresses intention to hurt people. For example, he has told me that he would like to kill the people from mental health as he believes the whole thing is a conspiracy and they have ruined his life.

he also sometimes gets into violent outbursts.

To date, he has not harmed anybody in any serious way, but I believe he is capable of it due to the extent of his delusions.

How would that be the fault of my parents if he hurt somebody?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),Benji  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No one seems to have mentioned that in several articles it has been mentioned that he is estranged from his family, has no fixed address and lives by couch surfing amongst his Mates ... For me, this sends up massive red flags of his delinquency during his teenage years ... I am imaging that his family have probably copped a fair bit over the years culminating in him being kicked out or leaving.

This may shock a lot of you ?? But there are groups of males who go out on the weekend and they are looking to fight (not kill) but inflict injury and pain on anyone who gives them an excuse. I have a gf who had a bf everytime I saw him he had a new injury ... Broken hands, eye sockets, cuts, stitches. He came from a "good middle class home, private education, but couldn't help himself.

So should the parents be held accountable??? Absolutely not.
    Should they be responsible for financial compensation??? No Way (btw this is what victims crime compensation is for).
    Should he be held in a facility with non violent offenders?? He'll no - he gets his kicks out of hurting innocent people

I fear for this young guy that this outcome was inevitable

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (20-07-2012),beebs  (20-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So what parents are only negligable if their child commits murder? So in others words had that kid lived.. all is good the parents are good parents because he didn't die? Sorry that just doesn't sit right with me.

As OJ said.. I am sick and tired of people not accepting responsibility for their behaviour and their actions. "Oh it's not my fault I had bad parents, Oh it's not my fault I didn't know it wasn't okay to have sex with children "Hey it's not my fault I'm a serial killer I have mental illness". It's like sueing people for idiotic things you do.. like in America breaking into someones house and breaking a leg and then sueing the owners of the house for it. That's just *#@*!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2012),GuestMember  (20-07-2012),halloweendee  (20-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Legal adulthood was reduced to 18 in Australia during the 70's purely under the argument that if individuals could be conscripted into war, they should be able to drink and vote and drive as well.

I fully believe the drinking age should be returned to 21.

18 year olds are children.
    Conscripts in the 60,s and 70,s were minimum aged 20 to go to Vietnam ( my dad was conscripted at 20 but they did not send them overseas until they turned 21) it's never been 18

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    By the age of 8, barring special needs, a child is aware of right and wrong, and has an understanding of consequence. In a case like this, even a 16yo would likely be tried as an adult. An 18yo knows that hitting is wrong. The parents did not choose the actions, the adult offspring did. The adult offspring can be dealt the consequences. Not the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cannot answer the poll. Calling him a child puts me off. Sorry.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),FiveInTheBed  (20-07-2012),halloweendee  (20-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (20-07-2012),Monster & Boof  (20-07-2012),SassyMummy  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-2...=1x1&width=100 There you go.. another one.. Mythbusters made him do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies I haven't read all the previous responses.

At what point do you propose a parents influence ends, surely it is always a factor?

Yet our legal system holds 18-year-olds, who are still physiologically, psychologically and emotionally children, totally accountable for their actions.
    Is this not why sentencing is carried out by judges who are equpipped to and do take into account the physiological, psychological status of the excused irrespective of chronological age? Public opinion has no relevence in sentencing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all the replies but my two cents;

I had a fantastic family upbringing from wonderful parents and I was a ar$ehole teenager (never anything as serious as hurting anyone but an ar$ehole none the less) I was out of control and in with the wrong crowd. I used to lie to my parents time and time again. If I had of done anything severe it most certainly would NOT have been their fault.

Honestly this boy was just a f$@&wit thug bogan troublemaker!

Even my two year old knows it's bad to hit / punch / kick or hurt people.

So his parents may not be great people and his friends are certainly scum too, but he is 100% to blame IMO.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soon2bmumzy For This Useful Post:

Ms Fawn  (21-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sometimes I wonder if people even read the OP.

NEVER EVER EVER said it wasn't his fault and he should get away with it for bad parenting.

Just saying some blame might be owed to his parents.

NEVER EVER EVER said he wasn't also accountable.

Ever.

Also Elijah's Mum, I read that here:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/call-...1021-h92i.html

Maybe they meant they lowered it to 18 because that was the age you could voluntarily join the army to go to war.