View Poll Results: Who is accountable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The parents and the child/youth perpetrator are legally accountable

4 8.70%
  • The parents are accountable, but legally, the child/youth perpetrator should suffer all the consequences

6 13.04%
  • The child/youth perpetrator is completely accountable for their actions

34 73.91%
  • Other

2 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    The Jamie Bulger case makes me so conflicted.

On one hand, it's devastating and I wish they'd been locked away for life.

On the other hand, trialling them as adults was one of the greatest miscarriages of justice ever, IMO.
    I wouldn't worry too much about their miscarriage of justice. As soon as they turned 18 they got a new life. They served 8 years.. 8 YEARS in jail for TORTURING, and MURDERING that 2 year old boy. I wouldn't be feeling too sorry for them. That little boy they murdered would have been 10 when they got out. That's pretty good going considering what they did. Rehabilitation my ***. People who do that are evil pure and simple. Evil can't be cured just like a pedophile can't be cured.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),bokkie_wotwot  (20-07-2012),halloweendee  (20-07-2012),LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),lovesushi  (20-07-2012),meljemillie  (20-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-07-2012)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't feel sorry for them, per se, but it has the potential to set a very worrying precedent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I know. When I start thinking about the Jamie Bulger case I can't stop thinking about it for days.

Me too. I don't know the full story as i heard a little of what they did and felt so sick I couldn't listen any more. That poor poor little boy.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, but at nearly 18 I'd been living out of home for 2 years. Paying my bills, going to school, and taking care of myself.

At the age of about FIVE I knew that hitting other people was wrong. Yes, my parents had a fair amount to do with that. But so did teachers and adults that I was around regularly.

That so called 'semi-adult- knew what the repercussions of hitting someone else where. Pain. So yes, he intended to cause injury. He may not have intended to cause death, but that's a risk you take when you do something like that. So I don't believe his parents are to blame. I think at that age he has no one to blame for his actions but himself.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),Rutabaga  (20-07-2012),soon2bmumzy  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If people can honestly tell me that they feel they could make the same decisions at 10...18...22 to when they are 30...i would feel very very sad for them. I would also think they were lying.

Fact is we develop slowly and over time...even a very "mature" 18 year old...would be more mature and make better decisions at 30 with more thought and experience.

No one has said he should not be punished...but I question the mode in which he will be punished as I am able to see the differences between intent/reason/method and see that there should be different punishment for those that are young...in order to protect them and have it possible for them to become fully functioning members of society when they have completed their sentence.

In some cases, there are young offenders who may well need life sentences...but life sentences to a psych facility, not a prison. Reviewing people for "parole" and release should be dependant on evaluation...not just pumping damaged people back into the streets and releasing violent criminals back out just because they have served 5 years (ie no rehab, no release).

If this kid gets more time for punching someone than a child abuser gets...that is a miscarriage of justice...but that is what is likely to happen.

Our legal system and penal system needs a total overhaul...and people need to be able to see that the nuances of a crim, should effect the punishment meted out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also, at the age of 16 was living out of home, paying blls, working -doing all the 'adult' things.

I have just watched an interstigTED talk on 'the difference between being an adult and growing up'. The teen/parent relationship was discussed. great talk.

Anyway - my opinion on this case is the guy who commited the crime is responsible, by that age he has been influenced by not ONLY his parents, but by his peers, media, society in general.

Haanyone beenwatching 'teens behind bars' (i think that is what it is called?) -these teens ranging in age have come from various backgrounds, sometimes troubled, somtimes 'good' (aka well accepted) ...they are in the centre for rehabilitation, to learn and to grow, sometimes their parents feel they have done ALLthey could and this isthe last chance to help them.

f you start blaming parents for something as horrific as this - how far down the line do you go?, do you go to the grandparents for how THEY raised the parents?

I have B/G twins -raised as closely as possible - they are VERY dfferent, their reactions to authorityand direction are miles apart, I have to consciously be aware of my language and what consequence is put in place.

We are a product of our upbringing - but, not exclusively.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haven't read posts but putting in my 2 cents anyway!
    I believe that when he hit him he had no intention to kill but in saying that he knew the consequences and everyone over 12 knows that hitting someone that savagely could kill them regardless of the fact that he wouldn't have meant it.
    The fact that he was looking for fights before and after the incident is what is worrying, he went out of his way to hurt people and killed someone in the process, he is 100% old enough to make decisions. At 18 years old some boys like to fight (as do girls) BUT he was attacking people. He made that decision so therefore yes he should be charged and trialled with murder. He is an adult in any other situation, driving, drinking, smoking etc so why shouldnt he be for this?! This wasnt a silly mistake this was a selfish guy attacking people, he belongs in jail, if at 18 years old he doesn't have respect for others and has already committed murder can you imagine what he will be like later on down the track!! MURDER!! Seriously he just killed someone, someone innocent, someone that could of been one of our sons, someone that now doesn't get to live his life, settle down have kids marry and LIVE!! His parents are not responsible for this, he is responsible for his own actions. How can someone being so disgustingly violent be their parents fault! He knows right from wrong this is ridiculous! I love my sons and hope that they never are involved in something like this but if he was to be and he intentionally harmed someone and they ended up dying as sad as it is yes I wouldnt want him on the streets to hurt more innocent people he would 100% belong in jail! He should definatly be trialled as an adult and I would be disgusted if they tried to make it my fault though a choice he made!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Monster & Boof For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know about the "no teenager has ever murdered and come from a good home". Surely mental illness and drug abuse has to be a factor in some murders and other crimes commited by teens? There's a lot of 'good' parents who raise children who end up with a drug addiction and do something they wouldn't normally due to the addiction.

I did hear that one of the boys who was involved in the Bulger murder DID come from a good home! That he was far too heavily influenced by his friend who came from a bad home.

With the amount of crimes being committed by teens lately I want them rehabilitated. I don't want to be at risk because there ARE boys out there whose brains are still developing and they are physically stronger than me. If they hurt somebody, I don't want them to have the chance to do it again. I would prefer them to be off the streets.

Offer parents counselling, courses, whatever need be IF they need it but punishing - I think it sets a bad precedent.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No one is to blame for any single person's behaviour except themselves.

Perhaps society, which does not teach personal responsibility for behaviour, and that preaches entitlement without earning it, and encourages running before walking, and rights before responsibilities......

perhaps they are the ones to blame.....

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012),Benji  (20-07-2012),eviezmum  (21-07-2012),GuestMember  (20-07-2012),halloweendee  (20-07-2012),Renesme  (20-07-2012),Rutabaga  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At the end of the day, it isn't like he got into a fight that spiralled out of control. He king hit someone who had done nothing to him. He punched 4 people that night. That is worlds apart from getting into a fight and having it go wrong. It does show intent to me, maybe not to kill- but to do some serious damage.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (20-07-2012),OJandMe  (20-07-2012)