+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When do you study?

I haven't beed in this part of the forum before, looks really great! Ive studied on and off since leaving school but I've never finished anything I'm doing a course on referencing and study skills at the moment to get back into things after having DS 15 weeks ago. It's online through open universities.

How do you all have time to study? I'm so behind and it's getting me really stressed! It seems by the time I get through the day with DS and get dinner on the table and the housework is done its 9.30 and were going to bed. DS is up at 5 so I'm never motivated to stay up.

Id love to know how you all work it into your days. I'm thinking about trying to stay up studying until 11 tonight and giving DS a feed in his sleep before I go to bed hoping he'll sleep a little later.
    On top of it all I have two weeks to decide what I'm studying next semester (I'm so unsure!) and it's so much pressed as I HAVE to stick with what I choose and finish it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have a child yet... But do you have a partner who could help out with DS at night so you can study?

Or a friend or family member who could help watch him a few hours each week so you could study during the day?

I'm study and pregnant with my first, and I know I'll be needing support when I go back after having bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

My DS is also 15 months old and I am at Deakin university studying nursing. I managed to squeeze all my classes into one day (Wednesday's) so for the past 3 weeks DS has gone to day care on Monday's and Wednesday's. On Monday's I do a LOT of study. I do my housework while he is awake, he goes to bed at 7 and I do study while he is in bed too. So far this set up is working well for me. My DP does shift work so I can also go to the library if he is at home. My mum babysat my DS last semester but she is overseas at the moment. When she comes back I might get her to babysit on Fridays sometimes if I have more work than usual or around assignment/exam time.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children are older than yours so I study once they are in bed and everything is done for the night (so I'm studying by 8pm at latest). I also have my mum mind my son a couple of days a week so I can have good, serious blocks of study time and then when I need to my husband will entertain the kids on his own of a weekend so I can study (exam time/essays due/got behind in work due to sick kids or whatever).

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my son was younger I'd try to get most of my reading done while feeding him and when he was asleep on my lap. Now that he is older I find it really hard. If he goes down by 8:30 then I try and get a couple of hours in at night, or his father watches him on weekends for a few hours so I can catch up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 20 months and I am currently pregnant with my second (due 18/9) I study during his nap and I am hoping I can do that when bub comes along as well. I also get DH to help out and look after DS while I do some study while he is around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions its nice to have some support on here! I do have a partner and he is very supportive, I think I might have a little bit of a plan. I find it very hard to study with my son there, it's just impossible to concentrate when I'm getting up to him every 5 minutes and he has no set nap schedule.
    We also have a tiny unit so when I had him I had to give up my desk for space reasons and I've been trying to study in the lounge room or at the kitchen table (very noisy of a night) I'm thinking if I can try and get everything done during the day and dinner made then my fiancé could take him for and hour or two every night so I could study. I was thinking I could put my bedside table away in the garage and get a little desk, to have on my side of the bed so I can have a quiet place to work.
    Hopefuly my fiancé doesn't mind! This will be desk number 3 haha, I had a huge one in my sons room but when we set up his room had to give it away, then we got another for the dining room but we needed the space for toys! Oops I have bad planning skills!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know I am going to need to make a new plan when there is a newborn in the house and like you I don't really have an area where I study, it is either the lounge or kitchen table.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a great plan, Wishingmum. All the best!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have 3 kids, one at school, a preschooler and a toddler.
    I put the younger 2 in daycare one day a week and the older one in after school care. I study from 9-5. I also have 3 extra hours using occasional care on another day.
    I'm doing part time off-campus and 2 units. It's over 15 hours per week so I get a fairly good rate with CCB and CCR.
    We don't have any family around to help, so I really have no choice!
    I can't study at night either as I'm too tired from having all 3 to bath, dinner etc. My husband gets home around 9/10pm.
    I managed some pretty good marks last semester so hoping I can keep it up!
    Good Luck!