+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weight gain for IVF

I have had 4 failed IVF attempts, and I am going to try again next year. To cut a long story short, my doctor has suggested that I need to gain weight and that may be the reason as to why I get negative results. I have always had a fast metabolism and eat as much or more then anyone I know.
    My husband has a low count as to why we are going through IVF. I was so angry at my doctor who left it to my last try to tell me about my weight. I am not under weight but the doctor said a few kilos could help. I am finding this very hard and am weighing my self every day and have only gained 2kgs in the last 3 months.
    Has anyone been through this or does anyone have any weight gaining diet tips to help??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm trying to gain weight for my next cycle too. I have some health problems & had lost a lot of weight during my ivf journey. I've got back to 47 kilos but I've been stuck there for ages! My goal is 50 kilos. My GP has suggested 1-2 protein drinks per day (Sustagen) so I'm going to give that a go. Might be worth a try. It's difficult isn't it? There's so much info/focus on how to lose weight but not much on how to gain it! Good Luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jude15 For This Useful Post:

Cheals  (20-07-2012),Meshell23  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 51kgs when the doctor told me, after months im now around 54 but still being told by everyone how skinny i look. i think it might be my height. I was confussed too when he told I need to gain weight as I have slim friends, cousins and sisters who have all had babys. I am thinking of giving this clinic one more try now I have put on a few kilos.
    Thank you for your feedback, you have both made me feel I have something to look forward to and not to let the weight issue get me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im 53kg and my doctor said for my height I should be at least 57kg...my BMI says Im underweight. Im really struggling to gain weight, I eat well - regular meals and snacks but I find I get full really easily and end up feeling sick.
    My naturapath advised me to add high calorie food to meals, like olive oil, avocado and nuts. I was in the habit of buying light milk, yoghurt etc...so ive swapped all of that for full fat stuff.
    I dont know about you girls but do you find alot of people have an opinion and like to say that you are 'too skinny'. I have people asking me if Im sick, am I eating, do I know that infertility can be caused by having low weight.
    I had a stranger approach me and say "that dress would look better on you if you were a bit fatter"!!!
    Sorry to vent! It just rely bugs me!!
    By the way, Im up to cycle 9....it was my gp that recommended I gain weight, my fs hasnt said anything about it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jetaime For This Useful Post:

Cheals  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jetamie-
    I am the same! My doctor told me I should be a few kilos heavier for my height too. It's very frustrating when people make a comment on my weight it's as-though they think I am dieting or not eating enough. But I eat very big meals. I always eat healthy and have home made cooked meals every night which consist of meat veggies potatoes pasta etc. I do have the occasional take away but home made food is much nicer lol.
    I really want this to work so I have made adjustments to my diet and am eating more dairy and snacking more during the day. It's taking a long time to put on weight but I am determined to do it.