+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long did it take yr newborn to get used to the daytime sounds of yr noisy toddler

As above, I have a 6wk old who struggles to stay asleep during the day when my toddler is awake. I don't want to have to keep my toddler quiet and I want my baby to get used to the noise so I usually put him down to sleep in his swing in the loungeroom. His best and longest sleep during the day is at midday when my toddler is also asleep (I keep the radio on so there is still noise).

He's quite unsettled during the day as it is so it may not totally be the toddler waking him, but I'm sure it is alot of the time.

Do they get used to the noise, sudden shrieks and thumping footsteps? And if so, how long does it take? Do you just keep them constantly exposed to the noise?

Today I had to resort to putting him in his bed with the door closed though just to give him a good sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Argh. The constant rumble of noise never was a problem but the sudden noises of a toy being dropped or a surprised shriek from DS1 is enough to wake DS2. On the flipside, DS2 is a noisy self settler and chats or yells loudly (in a happy way) but he can also wake up DS1 too like today.

Fyi DS1 is 2, DS2 is 6 months.

Must be heaven having a house big enough to separate your bubs at naptime!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bubs is now almost 13 wks old. His room in our 'office' that comes directly off the living/kitchen. We also have to walk (or run if you were my toddler) past his room to get to dd's room down the hall. So basically, DS cops all the noise from the kitchen, all the noise of us dining and eating and all the noise of dd constantly running past. To be honest, I don't know how DS sleeps through it all but he does. Sometimes I have to re settle him. If I do, I make sure dd is well occupied with something interesting. She is slowly learning that sometimes bub needs mummy's help to get to sleep so now she comes to the door if I'm in there and wispers to me instead of screaming!
    Another thing that I truly believe has helped is that Iv got white noise in his room to muffle any sounds. Maybe you could try that. I just got a $3 radio from the op shop. Works a treat.
    Also, I've really painstakingly tried to be consistent with his sleep cues and how I put him to bed. From the start I've put him to bed tired but still awake, wrapped him (so he dosent wake from being startled) and put a dummy in. Lately he's been falling asleep before I leave his room. Today, he fell asleep while his door was open and dd drawing in the kitchen. He must be used to the noise now.
    I should mention that my toddler is very spirited too. There is no wind down time except for sleep time. She is constantly talking, running and on the go. If my bub can sleep through that, I'm sure your bub will learn to as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    White noise! It helps my DD sleep when we have company or I am being noisy in the kitchen. I just have an app on my phone for it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies, today was a much better day so hopefully he is starting to get used to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd slept in the lounge room during the day quite a bit as a newborn, ignoring the noise around her. Over time she tolerated it less & less and I would put her in the bassinet in our bedroom (off the lounge) but leave the door open. By about 3.5 months I had to shut the door or she wouldn't sleep. By 4.5 months I couldn't even creep into the bedroom without fear of waking her. I gave up at 5.5 months and put her in her own room so I could have my bedroom back!