+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Young kids sniffing textas - wwy do/say?

Walking home from school pick up this afternoon, here was a group of 6 young lads (probably no more than year 4 - by the look of them) - passing around a few textas and encouraging the others to sniff them, 'cause it makes you feel all mad'.

I listened for a little bit and let my kids run ahead to home.

One kid kept asking, "but WHY do you smell it?" he didn't sound keen, the others were like,"yeh man..it makes you feel all maaad!!"

all I could do was to turn around and looking them in the eye, say - 'listen guys- every sniff you take of those chemicals will kill all the little brain cells in our head,not good.'

They just laughed nervously.

I'll head up to the school in the morning and inform the principal I think.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow, I think what you said was good and yes I think informing the principal is a good idea

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't speak for everyone, but if I didn't know that my DS was doing that or pressuring other kids to do it, and another parent waited with my DS and told me I'd be VERY grateful to that parent for letting me know!

That being said, not every parent is like that. Some would be cranky that you were 'sticking your nose in'. I'd rather know, thanks very much! *chuckle*.

I think telling the principal is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You're doing the right thing by telling the school. Sniffing is SO common around here. The damage is pretty much irreversible too. So young

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you for speaking up. Yes tell the principle.. They will hopefully deal with it correctly (in a way that does not give ALL kids the idea to sniff).

Just curious though, were they those smelly markers? Either way I guess it does not matter, as the words spoken are very disturbing..

I doubt a year 4 child knows how to get 'high' from a texta, but he has obviously seen it somewhere...

Honestly, if I were feeling really brave, I would have confiscated the texta's and handed them in the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but if I didn't know that my DS was doing that or pressuring other kids to do it, and another parent waited with my DS and told me I'd be VERY grateful to that parent for letting me know!

That being said, not every parent is like that. Some would be cranky that you were 'sticking your nose in'. I'd rather know, thanks very much! *chuckle*.

I think telling the principal is a good idea.
    oh I think if they looked like they were waiting for someone I would have definitely hung around...they were walking home, I'm half a block down from the school and they kept going past us...and as horrible as it sounds, after I said something, and knew they saw me turn into our house - I worried for a second that we might end up with a rock through our front window or something.

Thanks all, I will definitely pop up tomorrow morning to see the principal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    Good on you for speaking up. Yes tell the principle.. They will hopefully deal with it correctly (in a way that does not give ALL kids the idea to sniff).

Just curious though, were they those smelly markers? Either way I guess it does not matter, as the words spoken are very disturbing..

I doubt a year 4 child knows how to get 'high' from a texta, but he has obviously seen it somewhere...

Honestly, if I were feeling really brave, I would have confiscated the texta's and handed them in the next day.
    I thought for a moment that they might be a 'fruity' texta or the like, that's why I continued to listen - but it was obvious they were sniffing to get a head spin.

I wouldn't have physically intervened but I could've taken a photo on my phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends and I did this when we were younger too. We just did it a few times because it was naughty/fun. None of us ever went on to take drugs or sniff anything more than that. I think you prob scared them enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh, good on you for saying something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What did the principal say?