+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default gestational diabetes and Obstetric cholestasis

I know the two are not related i actually had gestational diabetes with my son, but i needed to see if anyone has any stories where people have had these two or even just the cholestasis and it has turned out ok i am having a mini freak out over it. My dr is talking about doing a c section between 35 and 37 weeks. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    Lisa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Lisa,

What's your primary concern? Early delivery for cholestasis is just a means of managing the increased risk of still birth post 37 weeks. After bub is out, they are safe and you should feel a lot less itchy within a few days. At 37 weeks bub is considered full term and it is common to have deliveries at this time for medical reasons. Provided there are no other complications it just means a little time in special care, sometimes with some phototherapy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for replying. My main concern is the one word that keeps coming up in every bit of research i do "Stillbirth". I know 37 weeks is not considered preemie (my son was actually born at 31 weeks) so i am not to concerned about the early delivery it is mainly the potential dangers to my baby while he is still inside.

Lisa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lisa,

From what I understand, it is an increased risk but the percentage increase is not huge. I can understand where you are coming from in that regard as I had similar feelings with delaying induction when it occurred last time. (No beds at the hospital). I believe, though the risk is after 37 weeks...but it's been a while since I've done the research. My OB really made an effort not have me worry too much and spouted off heaps of cases he has had that have been itching since day dot and all was well its just largely uncomfortable for mum and critical when levels reach a certain point - for mum, more than bub.

Perhaps it would be wise to have a chat with your OB and discuss your bloods results and exactly what they feel is your percentage increased risk. That way you have something tangible with which to work. It seems they haven't done the best job with letting you know what to expect?

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I will come back and reply in more depth when I have more time, but I had obstetric cholestasis during my first pregnancy beginning at 16 weeks with unusually high bile acid salt results. I successfully delivered a healthy happy baby at 37+3 days via spontaneous labour. I am now in my second pregnancy with no sign of OC so far at 25+4... fingers crossed it doesn't appear. Feel free to ask any questions. And i will be back when I have a chance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you every one for replying. My Dr said pretty much the same things and was very reassuring but i am a natural born worrier lol and i google way to much. I have put myself on a low sugar and low sat fat diet in order to help control both sugar and bile acid levels i am hoping by doing this i control both the gd and oc a bit better
    Lisa