+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Choosing to go back to work part-time

I am in a fortunate position where I don't have to work as my DH earns a reasonable salary. That's not to say we're rich (far, far from it!) but by adhering to strict budgets we can afford to pay our expenses and cover our mortgage repayments.

I now have the option to return to work 2 days per week and earn a decent income. I would be returning to a job that I loved at a large international company, having studied and worked for over a decade to get to the level I was at.

Some other background information - my DS is 21 months old and has been with me 24/7 since birth. My DH works long hours and we have no family around for support so we'd need to look at hiring a nanny given the hours we'd both be working. I realise this could be potentially expensive and will no doubt take a huge chunk of my salary.

What would you do? I feel stuck. I miss the mental challenge of working, doing something that I really enjoyed and having that satisfaction of doing it well. Yet I am also overwhelmed by guilt at the prospect of leaving my son with a nanny when it's not entirely necessary that I do so as I do have the option to remain a SAHM.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do?

Please be gentle on me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 kids and have been a SAHM since my first was born. If I was in your situation I would jump at the opportunity, 2 days in my opinion is a great balance and if it doesn't work out you can always quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my 22 month old DS in family daycare 3 days a week while I volunteer in the disability services sector..... So I am paying to put him in care and not even getting paid lol!

I needed to get out of the house, away from the kids and do something with the old grey matter! With DD being in her first year of school I wanted to do something flexible so that I could help out at school too, so volunteering it was

My DS loves family daycare and I love my break'

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the exact same situation. I even advertised for a nanny. Then I discovered family day care. Kids can be dropped off at 5:30am and they are able to keep them if i have to do overtime etc. Cheaper only $6-$8 an hour, even cheaper with CCR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I haven't been in this position but I would say if you miss work then it couldn't hurt to go for it and if it doesn't work out, go back to being a SAHM.

Personally, I function best as a mother if my needs as a human being are met as well rather than tending to everyone else. If this is what you need, I say go for it.
    Last edited by Benji; 19-07-2012 at 13:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you, your DS and your DH will be happy, go for it! Don't feel guilty at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice, feeling a bit better about it already. Mother's guilt drives me nuts, it honestly does. I always said I'd jump at a chance to work part-time and reclaim a bit of the 'old' me but to be honest I really never completely expected they'd offer me a job part-time... I expected it to be full-time or nothing (would've chosen nothing in that instance).

Those that use FDC, how did you find yours? I've done a few searches but only found one place nearby and they had a 9 month waiting list...

Also, the job involves a bit of a commute so I'd be leaving here at 7.30am and getting home about 6.30pm (potentially later but I'd bring work home instead where I could...). Does that sound like a reasonable request for a FDC? I assumed a Nanny would be my only option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where abouts are you located? Most FDC providers operate through a scheme. And in most capital cities there are several schemes running. We have had two carers over the past 5 years (our first retired when DD started school). I have found FDC to be very accommodating with schedules and hours. There are a few in our local area that provide overnight care for night shift workers. The two I have used have a base rate of say $5 an hour between 8am-5pm and then an extra fee of $1.50 extra per hour outside of those times.

Having said that they are all self employed so have the ability to set their own fees, but this is the most normal scenario I have come across.

For a qualified nanny you'd be looking at $20 an hour at least....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Where abouts are you located? Most FDC providers operate through a scheme. And in most capital cities there are several schemes running. We have had two carers over the past 5 years (our first retired when DD started school). I have found FDC to be very accommodating with schedules and hours. There are a few in our local area that provide overnight care for night shift workers. The two I have used have a base rate of say $5 an hour between 8am-5pm and then an extra fee of $1.50 extra per hour outside of those times.

Having said that they are all self employed so have the ability to set their own fees, but this is the most normal scenario I have come across.

For a qualified nanny you'd be looking at $20 an hour at least....
    Thanks for your help!

We are in Melbourne. I've done a bit more research tonight and have found a couple more local FDCs to call tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Failing that, we'll go back to considering a nanny.. but at $200 per day it just hardly seems feasible. It'd probably end up being just a bit less than half my salary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trina2706 View Post
    Thanks for your help!

We are in Melbourne. I've done a bit more research tonight and have found a couple more local FDCs to call tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Failing that, we'll go back to considering a nanny.. but at $200 per day it just hardly seems feasible. It'd probably end up being just a bit less than half my salary.
    That's still not bad though! I have friends that work for about $50 a day after childcare lol! If you get a nanny that's registered for CCR, you will get 50% of your out of pocket fees back each quarter (this applies to fdc too!)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (20-07-2012),Boobycino  (19-07-2012)