+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely on the same page. My DS is 15 months and only says mum and dad. He has previously said dog, dads here, Adje (Croatian) and ta but won't anymore. So hard not to worry but trying my best lol

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you kidding? 14 Months?
    Now, if he has 5 words by the time he's 18 months, THEN I would have a chat with your GP. At 14 months I would not be at the least concerned.

    My bestie has a 2yo who didn't speak 1 word until he was 18 months and he hasn't stopped since.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    0
    My boys didn't talk till 2 and weren't talking in fluent sentences till 3. My daughters were a little earlier but definatly not 14 months.

    Your ds sounds very normal and of course they can understand a lot more than they can say

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Are you kidding? 14 Months?
    Now, if he has 5 words by the time he's 18 months, THEN I would have a chat with your GP. At 14 months I would not be at the least concerned.

    My bestie has a 2yo who didn't speak 1 word until he was 18 months and he hasn't stopped since.
    Sorry, but I don't think that attitude is necessary. I can't speak for the OP, but my DS is my first child and I don't know what is normal or not and I can't help but compare him to his peers of the same age, so yes I have been concerned about his speech.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanks
    1,242
    Thanked
    1,713
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think that attitude is necessary. I can't speak for the OP, but my DS is my first child and I don't know what is normal or not and I can't help but compare him to his peers of the same age, so yes I have been concerned about his speech.
    I was just about the write the same thing

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't mean to be offensive. BUT there are many threads here already with people being concerned about kids not speaking at 12-16 months. Especially boys.

    DS didn't say a word until he was 18 months and I wasn't concerned until then. Oh and he is my first and only child as well.
    Yes he's diagnosed with global developmental delay, but again, kids develop all differently and googling this will confirm it. That is why I say, if her child does not have any more words before he's 18 months, then I would contact a doctor and see if she can get some speech for him.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    I didn't mean to be offensive. BUT there are many threads here already with people being concerned about kids not speaking at 12-16 months. Especially boys.

    DS didn't say a word until he was 18 months and I wasn't concerned until then. Oh and he is my first and only child as well.
    Yes he's diagnosed with global developmental delay, but again, kids develop all differently and googling this will confirm it. That is why I say, if her child does not have any more words before he's 18 months, then I would contact a doctor and see if she can get some speech for him.
    You could have said it like this in the first place without the "are you kidding me?" which is what I found most offensive.

    I do agree though, I won't be doing anything about my DS until his 18 month check up re: his speech if I am still concerned.

  8. #18
    Eko's Avatar
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks
    1,083
    Thanked
    1,427
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sometimes kids start with a few general words like ma and da and that's all they aast for months. Then suddenly it's like they have verbal diarrhea and it all starts... And doesn't stop! My DS did that at about 2 and his vocab has expanded regularly ever since.

    Don't stress, every child is different


 

Similar Threads

  1. my toddler doesnt eat a whole lot, does yours?
    By Little Miss Muffet in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 21:41
  2. Boyfreind doesnt want me to keep the baby. im 41
    By babyCC in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 29-07-2012, 12:06
  3. Would you buy a pram that doesnt fold?
    By TrentsMummy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 17:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!