+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markys Mum View Post
    He's been eating the same thing for breakfast - Raffertys cereal, mixed with formula and my own pureed fruit. He also has a small bit of toast, usually with avocado on it. I told DH to try to avocado to see if it was alright, and he said it was fine. But today I didn't give him any, just toast with a small bit of butter. I just went home on my lunch break, and he had vomitted his lunch as well. It's the same lunch he has pretty much everyday, my own pureed vegies, cheese and a meaty Raffertys pouch mixed in. My mum seems to think that maybe it's the chunkier food that is setting off the gagging reflex, but he's been eating chunky foods like a champ for a good couple of months now with no problems. But she said maybe if his tummy is out of sorts it might be more sensitive to chunky foods. He *could be* cutting teeth. He has none at the moment, and they appear to be giving him grief, and they seem to have been giving him some grief for the last couple of months (we are just waiting for them to come). But everyone I have asked has said it's most likely not related to teething... He doesn't have any signs of illness though, and he's eating the same foods he always has (from the same batches), so to me, I would also think possibly teething related that's making him queasy... So many people have told me he wouldn't chuck like that if it was just teething though. I even called the health direct line, but they couldn't help me cause he has no real signs of illness relating to anything.

ETA - after his lunch vomit, my mum gave him some soft mashed banana in natural yoghurt and he held it down fine!!!
    My DS was doing the same thing for a couple of days about 2 weeks ago, turns out he had really bad tonsillitis. I felt terrible because he had no other symptoms like a temp or anything so didn't get it check for a couple of days, doctor said it was because he throat was sore that he would vomit. Might be worth getting him checked. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I've been through this with two children, there are a few things that could be happening if it is food, allergies, intolerances, coeliac. These all can come out of nowhere, one minute they are fine with that food and then next they are not.

Another thing it could be is sensory problems - lots of children gag and throw up with the texture of certain foods if they have sensory issues.

I would take him to the doctors if it were me.

My son threw up every day for the first 18months of his life and by the time he had and endo done he had ulcers in is osophegus.
    Oh dear that's not good... He's never been a spewer though, it's come from nowhere. He has not had issues with chunky foods before (really the chunkiest is soft toast and sometimes finely cut up meat or very small chunks of soft vegies in his mash), so would that rule out a sensory issue?

I am trying to think of what it could be if it *IS* being triggered by food. For example today though, there is no link between what he ate at brekky, and what he ate at lunch. Yet, he chucked them both (but kept down the banana and yoghurt).

*IF* his tummy was out of sorts for whatever reason (maybe feeling sick from possible teething or just a tummy upset), could the chunkier food set off a gag reflex, causing him to vomit?

I think definitely that a trip to the GP is necessary, I'm just worried that they won't be able to find anything seeing that he is in fact quite well otherwise - is happy, active, playing, loud, climbing. And I don't particularly want to pay so much to see his paed (not that we would probably get in quickly anyway) if it is nothing serious. Perhaps I could make an appt and if the vomitting goes away then by the time the appt comes I could cancel...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is hard to know with kids, maybe just take him to the GP?

Oh dear that's not good... He's never been a spewer though, it's come from nowhere. He has not had issues with chunky foods before (really the chunkiest is soft toast and sometimes finely cut up meat or very small chunks of soft vegies in his mash), so would that rule out a sensory issue?

I am trying to think of what it could be if it *IS* being triggered by food. For example today though, there is no link between what he ate at brekky, and what he ate at lunch. Yet, he chucked them both (but kept down the banana and yoghurt).

*IF* his tummy was out of sorts for whatever reason (maybe feeling sick from possible teething or just a tummy upset), could the chunkier food set off a gag reflex, causing him to vomit?

I think definitely that a trip to the GP is necessary, I'm just worried that they won't be able to find anything seeing that he is in fact quite well otherwise - is happy, active, playing, loud, climbing. And I don't particularly want to pay so much to see his paed (not that we would probably get in quickly anyway) if it is nothing serious. Perhaps I could make an appt and if the vomitting goes away then by the time the appt comes I could cancel...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    My DS was doing the same thing for a couple of days about 2 weeks ago, turns out he had really bad tonsillitis. I felt terrible because he had no other symptoms like a temp or anything so didn't get it check for a couple of days, doctor said it was because he throat was sore that he would vomit. Might be worth getting him checked. HTH
    Oh wow, okay will definitely schedule in a trip to the doc then - just for a check up to make sure that everything is fine - and see how we go from there.

Buttoneska, not sure about worms LOL!!! Can you even worm a small baby??? Hehehe.

MumtoEandR, I assumed he would have a temp with a tummy bug, but if yours haven't had temps it is definitely a possibility. But strangely, he can keep some food down. It seems dairy is one of the things that he is able to keep down okay at the moment. He is breastfed (well, mostly EBM'd at the moment as during the day he fusses and doesnt' take much from the breast - only really takes it well at night), so is getting plenty of that and keeping it down well.

I did notice one day, I think on Monday (when he didn't vomit) that he did have a few strange little belly noises going on once. And his burps have been kind of chunky burps, not normal chirps. So possibly belly out of sorts - but from what - I have no idea!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just also wanted to say thank you for all comments and ideas/possibilities - they are all gratefully received!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Buttoneska, not sure about worms LOL!!! Can you even worm a small baby??? Hehehe.
    I have no idea, its a bit random I know but u never know?