+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby vomitting big amounts randomly - no other real signs of illness. Any ideas?

Hi all! My son is almost 10 months old (8 months corrected, he was 2 months premature), and is a happy, healthy boy who loves his food. On Sunday morning, eating the same brekky that he has usually, he did two big vomits (pretty much everything came up). I gave him some banana and his bottle, and he kept that down. He ate his lunch, with no issues - and also a snack. Come to dinner, he ate it with no issues, and then about 5 minutes later did 3 big vomits. Took his temp, and it's normal. He looks fine and is acting happy and normal. He isn't sleeping particularly well, but he's never been a great sleeper - so that's normal for us. Monday and Tuesday, no problems. Gave him small amounts slowly and there was no more vomitting. Come Wednesday morning, eating his normal brekky and he vomitted it all up again. Gave him some banana again (so he had something in his belly) and his bottle and he kept it all down. Had no issues with lunch, snack or dinner. This morning, during brekky he gagged a couple of times, but did not vomit. We took eating his brekky very slowly, and he appeared hungry, was opening mouth etc. About 5 minutes after finishing brekky (I stopped it, he would have eaten more if I'd given it) he did a burp that had a small amount of vomit. As I was taking him to wipe his mouth, he did another big vomit. Still, his temp is okay, and apart from looking a little tired, he is fine and laughing and playing. He hasn't been pooing as regularly as he used to (used to be 2 to 3 times a day like clockwork), now he's only doing one poo a day and it's usually a BIG one and can be runnier than normal. Any ideas what this could be? If it were a virus or bug, wouldn't he have a temp? He may be teething, but I'm not sure if that could cause big vomits like that (he's never been sick before or been a vomitty baby). He doesn't seem ill enough to take to the doctor (all I can say is that he's vomitted a few times), yet there must be something making him vomit fairly regularly. If he vomits again tomorrow I will take him to the doctors regardless - but any ideas what could be causing it? I've tried his food myself to make sure nothing is off etc, and it all seems okay. Thanks for any advice or ideas in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like it could be something he is eating. Keep a record of everything that eats and see if you can find a pattern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^^ this. Keep a record of what he is eating vs his vomit, try find a pattern. Sounds like he may be reacting to something he is eating

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's he having for breakfast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he cutting teeth? Mine were a bit prone to the odd power chuck for no reason when cutting teeth. Also affected sleeping and pooping. I found it was worse if I gave something super sweet after savoury. (yoghut etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's been eating the same thing for breakfast - Raffertys cereal, mixed with formula and my own pureed fruit. He also has a small bit of toast, usually with avocado on it. I told DH to try to avocado to see if it was alright, and he said it was fine. But today I didn't give him any, just toast with a small bit of butter. I just went home on my lunch break, and he had vomitted his lunch as well. It's the same lunch he has pretty much everyday, my own pureed vegies, cheese and a meaty Raffertys pouch mixed in. My mum seems to think that maybe it's the chunkier food that is setting off the gagging reflex, but he's been eating chunky foods like a champ for a good couple of months now with no problems. But she said maybe if his tummy is out of sorts it might be more sensitive to chunky foods. He *could be* cutting teeth. He has none at the moment, and they appear to be giving him grief, and they seem to have been giving him some grief for the last couple of months (we are just waiting for them to come). But everyone I have asked has said it's most likely not related to teething... He doesn't have any signs of illness though, and he's eating the same foods he always has (from the same batches), so to me, I would also think possibly teething related that's making him queasy... So many people have told me he wouldn't chuck like that if it was just teething though. I even called the health direct line, but they couldn't help me cause he has no real signs of illness relating to anything.

ETA - after his lunch vomit, my mum gave him some soft mashed banana in natural yoghurt and he held it down fine!!!
    Last edited by Markys Mum; 19-07-2012 at 13:27. Reason: Wanting to add a bit more info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been through this with two children, there are a few things that could be happening if it is food, allergies, intolerances, coeliac. These all can come out of nowhere, one minute they are fine with that food and then next they are not.

Another thing it could be is sensory problems - lots of children gag and throw up with the texture of certain foods if they have sensory issues.

I would take him to the doctors if it were me.

My son threw up every day for the first 18months of his life and by the time he had and endo done he had ulcers in is osophegus.

Quote Originally Posted by Markys Mum View Post
    He's been eating the same thing for breakfast - Raffertys cereal, mixed with formula and my own pureed fruit. He also has a small bit of toast, usually with avocado on it. I told DH to try to avocado to see if it was alright, and he said it was fine. But today I didn't give him any, just toast with a small bit of butter. I just went home on my lunch break, and he had vomitted his lunch as well. It's the same lunch he has pretty much everyday, my own pureed vegies, cheese and a meaty Raffertys pouch mixed in. My mum seems to think that maybe it's the chunkier food that is setting off the gagging reflex, but he's been eating chunky foods like a champ for a good couple of months now with no problems. But she said maybe if his tummy is out of sorts it might be more sensitive to chunky foods. He *could be* cutting teeth. He has none at the moment, and they appear to be giving him grief, and they seem to have been giving him some grief for the last couple of months (we are just waiting for them to come). But everyone I have asked has said it's most likely not related to teething... He doesn't have any signs of illness though, and he's eating the same foods he always has (from the same batches), so to me, I would also think possibly teething related that's making him queasy... So many people have told me he wouldn't chuck like that if it was just teething though. I even called the health direct line, but they couldn't help me cause he has no real signs of illness relating to anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Raising Leprechauns, did your kids do random spews for a few days in a row, or was it more regular in a particular time frame? I just can't think of it being anything else other than teething related. I mean, if he had a bowel or tummy issue - surely he would have other symptoms, and either not be pooping or if viral he'd have a temp or something? It's so bizarre. He's always been a powerhouse eater, will quite literally eat anything, but generally has fairly consistent meals so I can't see it being anything that he is eating that's setting it off. Probably the only thing different he's had is the formula in his cereal - but he's been having that since quite a few days before the spewing started. It's only a small amount (60mls) mixed in with the cereal anyway. For everything else he has boobie milk

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hope this does't sound wayyyyyyyy out of line, cos I have no kids and I don't mean to compare babies to animals..

But..

my dog was doing this and eventually we took her to the vet who suggested she had worms, we wormed her and she has done no more wierd random vomits

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a bug to me!!

My kids have never ran a temp with tummy bugs!

I would take him off dairy for a few days - are you breastfeeding? If not, they have lactose free formulas that kids can use with tummy bugs....