+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have always been a big fan of community based preschools and if I were you I would go to this site
    http://www.preschoolsnsw.org.au/find-a-preschool
    and search for a preschool in your area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is just my opinion, but in the year before school I believe pre school is much better. My kids both went to not for profit pre school, well my youngest is there this year and I find them better structured for a child going to school soon. The teachers have a degree in early childhood. There less playing and more stuff getting them ready for school (which my spirited, non conformist child needs lol). I have found it better in every respect.

That's not a dig at DC. I had mine both in DC until the year before school. But as I said, I found, at least in my town, pre school was way ahead in every way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another question if no one minds! If we could get into a community kindy in nsw is there a minimum number of days that you attend, ie in qld if we went to our local c & k we would attend in a five day fortnight I believe . Is it the same in nsw? Thanks for all the input too, its helping enormously

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    By kindy you mean pre school? kinder is the first year of school here... and yes you can have 1 to 5 days, it's just dependant on spots. My advice to you... get in early like about sept as soon as they have their open day. Spots can be like hens teeth and we were SO lucky to get 2 days for DS.

Have your child BC ready as well as their vaxx info/CO form ready to go so you can fill out the paperwork ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops! Yes, next year will be preschool for us in nsw. Ds is turning 4 in February

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have things changed for applying for preschool? I looked into it for DD1 years ago and tried to book her in 12 months before I wanted her to start and I was laughed at! At 3 places! So, she just went to a daycare with a school readiness program.

When DD2 & DD3 came along I decided on a daycare that had a school readiness program again as it was too hard to pick them up plus still get to school in time to pick up DD1. We were happy with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our pre school is 2 days a week (9-3) for the 3yos and 3 days a week for the 4yos (those going to kindy the following year).

The main difference we have noticed between a pre school program in daycare and a community pre school (apart from cost) is the community aspect. It's hard to beat when your child will go to school with at least some of the kids from pre school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children have been to both daycare and community Pre school and by far I think community Pre school is better then daycare. It is very structured and really prepares your child for school they are better at picking up any difficulty your child is having so you can seek early intervention and lots cheaper I paid $45 a day for daycare and now I'm paying $10 a day for preschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Have things changed for applying for preschool? I looked into it for DD1 years ago and tried to book her in 12 months before I wanted her to start and I was laughed at! At 3 places! So, she just went to a daycare with a school readiness program.

When DD2 & DD3 came along I decided on a daycare that had a school readiness program again as it was too hard to pick them up plus still get to school in time to pick up DD1. We were happy with it.
    I doubt they would accept enrollments a year early, but as I say, our open day is in sept and a week after open day last year, all 3 rooms were full (we have 2 4 yo rooms and 1 3 yo room)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I doubt they would accept enrollments a year early, but as I say, our open day is in sept and a week after open day last year, all 3 rooms were full (we have 2 4 yo rooms and 1 3 yo room)

You wouldn't be able to enrol a year early but you should definitely put your name down a year early (or more) if you can. Demand at community based preschools can be huge.