+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning Baby from Expressed Milk at 12 months

Hi everyone, I'm finding it difficult to get some good information and advice on weaning babies from expressed milk so thought I'd try here to ask for other's experience and/or knowledge in the area.

I will give you some background..I have expressed milk for my daughter since she was born (now 12.5 months old). I started breastfeeding but she was not putting on weight so the midwife advised me to express and feed her set amounts until she put on weight. Long story short...after a few trials with blisters from pumps and my daughter being too used to a bottle, I could not get her back on the breast after a few weeks. So I have continued expressing all this time and supplemented with formula up until now (around 1/2 and 1/2). Up until a few weeks ago, I was expressing 3 times a day and supplementing also with formula. Last week I dropped one express time, and yesterday I only expressed in the morning (but was so full by the next morning) with the view of stopping expressing. I always said I wanted to do it till she was 12 months, as it has been extremely tiring at some points, but now that 12 months is here I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing by stopping. I just want the best nutrition for my baby, and feeling a little guilty with the idea of stopping because I'm tired?? She has been a pretty good eater with solids, but do I just go on to the toddler formula or cows milk?? My doctor doesn't recommend cows milk, so I'm really confused..

Any advice/help would be most appreciated!! Thanks in advance and sorry I am not all that concise in explaining

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plenty of views but no replies..no expressed mums have any experience or advice on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ally Van
    Wow, you are a superstar for expressing for so long, good for you! I think if you have decided the time is right to finish your feeding journey, you should be happy and comfortable with that decision - and I would really like to congratulate you and tell you what a fabulous job you have done. So many things with children amount to difficult decisions and it's often hard to know you are doing the right thing, but I'm sure you've made an informed decision based on what is right for you and your bub.
    In terms of what you would do from here, I am by no means an expert but can only share my experience. I stopped breastfeeding at 12 months, and at that stage introduced cows milk in a cup to my son. He was eating a good amount of solids and although it took around a month, he took to drinking the cows milk and drinks plenty of it now. During the month it took for him to start drinking the milk, I made sure he had plenty of yoghurt and cheese, and made sure I offered him three solid meals a day, plus morning and afternoon tea. I also monitored his weight by weighing myself, then getting on the scales with him to ensure he wasn't losing weight.
    I hope this helps in some way, and again - congratulations on the fab mummy job you have done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I agree! Good on you for giving your baby such a great start to life with your milk, and for having the energy and determination to keep expressing!

You need to do what is right for you and for your baby, if you decide you want to keep expressing, then go for it, if you think you have had enough, then thats ok too, you have done a great job getting this far! How are you feeling about it now that you've had a little while to think about what you've written?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I expressed til about that age for DS1 too. When I went to wean him off we swapped him over to formula for a while by diluting the expressed milk more and more with formula over about a week. With the expressing side for you, I started expressing less each time in volume rather than trying to go longer without doing it. We kept him on formula until his diet was good enough that we thought he could miss out on the extra from the formula which was a few months down the track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and valuable advice and experience. There's heaps of info out there, but not any I could find much on expressing after a year, so thank you so much. I've had time to think about it more now, and writing it all out was therapeutic in itself I think. I am going to stick to the weaning process, still expressing in the morning only and finding I am getting less and less milk, but never thought about just expressing for a less amount of time, that makes more sense. Will start doing that now too.

Have been giving Miss S one feed of cows milk a day for a couple of weeks and she didn't even seem to notice any difference, so despite my doctors dislikeness for cows milk, I think I'll just keep giving her one feed (that Pauls kids milk) and top up with a couple of formula feeds till she eats a bit more. I love these forums, this is the kind of stuff you just can't find in textbooks/info sites! Thanks again everyone, much appreciated!!
    Last edited by Ally Van; 22-07-2012 at 09:52.