+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I start Toilet Training?

I just have no idea where to start. My little one will say poo and go to our toilet and want to sit on it.
    Do I use a potty or toilet seat? Where do I get a good toilet seat as the one I seen at the shops the other day didn't look too sturdy.
    Do you leave bub in nappies and just sit them on or what do you do?
    I am not fond of the idea of no pants in the house!
    I have a bub due in dec and our child is 20 months old so hoping to get on the right track to make things a bit easier Mind you I have to get them into a big bed and out of the cot too. Will all these changes affect them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a potty and a toilet seat. He used both very briefly and now will only sit on the toilet and almost falls in lol. I just let mine go without pants and deal with accidents. I don't start til they are showing lots of 'ready' signs though, so there aren't too many accidents. Sometimes I put undies on them but find they learn quicker naked. I never push them, DS worked out recently he could use it as z power thing so I just left it for a couple of weeks and now he is back using the toilet again.

Be mindful that a new baby can cause them to regress so just see how you go, try not to push it too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What signs Annabella??

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a toilet seat, and put them in underwear. Be prepared for a lot of accidents and patience - unavoidable! I asked them every half an hr or so, "Do you need to use the toilet?" and also watch for signs such as crotch grabbing or wiggling while sitting or jogging on the spot. If they hadn't had an accident or been to the toilet for a while, I would take them and sit them on it and ask them if they wanted to try. Pees clicked before poos for my 3.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    What signs Annabella??
    The main one for me is when they start telling you that they are doing/just did a wee/poo. Or sometimes how they will go to a special place to poo. Basically showing they are aware of what their body is doing. Also if they are drier for longer stretches. They also have to be keen, we usually just start putting undies/leaving them naked and explain if they need to do a wee/poo to go to the potty. If they're just not into it, we just wait til they're showing signs and interest again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the others- Here are some tips I found helpful- if little one is showing 'signs' such as telling you they are doing a wee or poo, I think that is a good time to start training. With my DS's I have gone straight to the toilet (with a seat attachment- removeable) and a small stool so they can climb on. I didn't see the point in learning how to use a potty, then learning all over again to use a toilet. Once you start, don't stop. all day nappies are gone immediately, and I put them in undies. I placed them on the toilet every 30 mins for the first week or so- then they get accustomed to releasing wee or poo on the toilet and the brain is trained to use the toilet. The occasional wet undies were not a problem. Stay close to home if you can during the early days/ weeks and try to avoid the temptation to put a nappy on during the day (except at nap time if needed). I have found there can be some regression after a few weeks, just when you think you have it conquered! This is normal and won't last forever. Biggest tip- once you start, don't stop- and reinforce positive achievements! Each child is different. Some catch on quickly, others take a while. Good luck