+ Reply to Thread

Default Some recent reviews for having a baby at the Mercy or Birralee (Box Hill)

Hi lovely ladies, I am in very early stages of pregnancy and thinking about where I should have my baby. I am going to go public and because of where I live I can go to Birralee (Box Hill) or Mercy. I have spoken to a few people and have heard good review of both really, but would like to hear some other peoples experiences. This is my second baby, my first birth was pretty traumatic for me and I am feeling quite anxious about the decision of where to go. Thank you so much in advance.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am currently going through the mercy (18 weeks) and am very happy with my decision. I went to the womens with ds but now live closer to the mercy. Already I'm finding it much smaller and friendlier but also very professional and excellent care. I've had probably 5 friends deliver at the mercy in the last few years and all are going back for #2 there. I've also got another 2 friends who've just delivered in the last few weeks and another 3 due soon. All of them say they can't fault the place. The only thing is they have double post natal rooms and I was lucky enough to get a single room at the womens but not a big deal.

I had complications post natally last time and they are being extra cautious, sent me for more tests and I just feel really good about the care. The ob I saw the other day was talking about my options too as I had a 3rd degree tear last time and said they will support me in cs or natural birth and all up to me.

I have a few friends from my mothers group who went to box hill last time (they have a 'know your midwife' program) and they were happy and are going back. I was admitted to a medical ward at box hill post partum last time and I was really unimpressed. The whole experience put me off going there EVER again and I don't trust them as a hospital - I'm a nurse and was just horrified at the care and the processes. I don't know what their mat unit is like but personally I would go for the mercy any day. Also, the mercy books up very quickly, I was lucky to get my scans done there but several friends who left it a little later to book in (like 10 weeks!) Had to go externally and pay for theirs as they were full. I booked in at 6 weeks or so.

All the best!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Mercy have very strict visiting hours. Nice if you just want to rest up, bad if you plan to have family and friends visiting. I've seen them turn away people who had driven down from Shepparton and arrived 10min after end of visiting hours. The nurses wouldn't budge and the mother had to bring the baby out to stand with her guests outside reception where there isn't even a seat.

I'm told the care is very good however. I also had a cyst removed laparoscopically at the Mercy as a public patient a few months ago and couldn't fault staff or facilities.