+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleeping on tummy

DS is 8 months old.. He's recently learned to rock on his hands and knees.. He is now insisting on sleeping on his stomach and sonetimes his side.. I am aware of SIDS risk etc and have persisted with putting him on his back but he keeps rolling in his sleep or just prior to falling asleep.
    It scares me! I have to keep doing in to check him and often have had watch that he is breathing. He knows how to turn his head to the side and sleeps on his cheek and has the ability to bear weight on his arms and push himself up.
    An I overreacting for being so scared.. Overly anxious perhaps? I know people do this because of reflux etc and others have experienced it and allowed it but I can't fight the feeling that something may happen.
    It's all I've ever been taught and while I'm aware babies used to sleep on their tummies, they changed the recommendations for a reason. The only people I am around often enough to ask are often older and past child bearing years so it was the norm for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 8 month old sleeps on his tummy. Both my girls also slept in their tummy as soon as they could roll.
    I wasn't going to stay up all night and flip them on to their backs if they rolled over, so once my babies could roll I stopped wrapping them and put them in sleeping bags so I didn't need to worry about them getting stuck under blankets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps.. He isn't swaddled anymore and he sleeps in a sleeping bag with arms out but I just can't shake the anxiety about it! Was it scary for you to start with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an angel care movement monitor, so no.
    But if I didn't I'd probably freak out a little!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my first did I FREAKED OUT! Convinced he was going to smother himself. But honestly when they start to be able to roll there is no way to keep flipping them back unless you want to stay up all night doing it.

If he is weight bearing and can roll over fine during the day I would say you have no worries. He will do it eventually so once they start there is no stopping.

And frankly sleeping on your tummy is much more comfy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with cindye. As soon as my DD could roll she has been sleeping on tummy or side. I also have the angelcare monitor which I couldn't live without. I couldnt fight it as she wouldn't sleep otherwise. I used an anti roll pillow for a bit at the start but she used to wake alot more and even end up on her side then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    There's not much you can do. My eight month old is the same - slept on his back from birth but as soon as he could roll it was on his tummy. He's in a sleeping bag so his arms are free and I think if he's old enough to get into that position, he's old enough to move if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My 6 month old has been rolling over on his tummy to sleep for a while now. Like others said..not much you can do. I freaked out when I first found him on his belly when he woke for a feed...I definitely didn't put him down that way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it's just scary at first! Im sure he will be okay and my anxiety about it will decrease!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as has his arms free and he rolls himself over to his tummy, he's fine