+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Melzey, if you do want to try formula, remember you can always breastfeed at the same time. Gives you a bit of a break, but you still have the benefits of breastfeeding, and something to go back to if you have probs with formula.

Also, go back to basics with attachment- baby chest to your chest, make sure she is taking the breast in and not just nipplefeeding, support her back... EVen if baby feeds alots, if your attachment is good, you shouldn't be getting damage.

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Melzey, if you do want to try formula, remember you can always breastfeed at the same time. Gives you a bit of a break, but you still have the benefits of breastfeeding, and something to go back to if you have probs with formula.

Also, go back to basics with attachment- baby chest to your chest, make sure she is taking the breast in and not just nipplefeeding, support her back... EVen if baby feeds alots, if your attachment is good, you shouldn't be getting damage.

take care
    Thanks bubbles. I was only wanting to supplement with formula but i cant find an affordable formula (without script) that is suitabe for a baby with his allergies/intolerances. I could pay $60 for a tin of neocate, but I'm worried he will end up refusing the breast... Then what, i just dont want to assume the allergist will give us a script, just in case he doesnt. I think my lil guy is getting frustrated, he has taken to biting me. even now the rest of the teething signs are gone, the biting continues. I take him off when he does it and I think thats part or the problem too. Humm..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default no script repeats for us

Hi Ladies, has anyone been refused a new script for Neocate or Elecare?

My 6 month old daughter has multiple intolerance (dairy, soy, gluten) and severe reflux (she has been on neocate since 3 months) and after seeing a paed at the hospital for a new authority script recently i heard about the new rules. We were then seen by an allergist who told me she is no longer eligible for neocate as she doesn't have an anaphalactic reaction to dairy (she said that was the only way she could prescribe it)...i was so upset as its been such an ongoing battle with finding the causes of a lot of her problems and puting her on neocate was the best thing we did. Her reflux was getting worse, she had constant diarrhea and stomach cramps and was miserable all the time until we started...now we've been told that as it won't 'kill' her to be on a dairy based formula i can either do that or put her on a off the shelf rice or almond milk. The allergist obviously has no idea that these aren't appropriate for a baby her age, she also told me that at 6 months she should be on solids and no longer needs formula anyway because her main source of nutrients should be her food...which again sounds rediculous!
    I have another appointment with a different paediatrician in the hopes i can get a second opinion! Im so frustrated that the government are making it so hard for legitimate users of the formula...isn't it also possible that an increase in prescription is due to an increase in allergy and intolerance diagnosis?? not necessarily that paeds are script happy?

I have no idea what i'll do when i run out! i tried her on some dairy formula last week for a day to see if she is still intolerant and all her symptoms came back with a vengence!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleD View Post
    Hi Ladies, has anyone been refused a new script for Neocate or Elecare?

My 6 month old daughter has multiple intolerance (dairy, soy, gluten) and severe reflux (she has been on neocate since 3 months) and after seeing a paed at the hospital for a new authority script recently i heard about the new rules. We were then seen by an allergist who told me she is no longer eligible for neocate as she doesn't have an anaphalactic reaction to dairy (she said that was the only way she could prescribe it)...i was so upset as its been such an ongoing battle with finding the causes of a lot of her problems and puting her on neocate was the best thing we did. Her reflux was getting worse, she had constant diarrhea and stomach cramps and was miserable all the time until we started...now we've been told that as it won't 'kill' her to be on a dairy based formula i can either do that or put her on a off the shelf rice or almond milk. The allergist obviously has no idea that these aren't appropriate for a baby her age, she also told me that at 6 months she should be on solids and no longer needs formula anyway because her main source of nutrients should be her food...which again sounds rediculous!
    I have another appointment with a different paediatrician in the hopes i can get a second opinion! Im so frustrated that the government are making it so hard for legitimate users of the formula...isn't it also possible that an increase in prescription is due to an increase in allergy and intolerance diagnosis?? not necessarily that paeds are script happy?

I have no idea what i'll do when i run out! i tried her on some dairy formula last week for a day to see if she is still intolerant and all her symptoms came back with a vengence!
    Is she cows milk protein intolerant or lactose intolerant? If she is lactose but not CMP you could use lactose-free cows milk maybe?

I find it ridiculous the paed would suggest putting a 6 month old on rice or almond milk :screwy: Definately get a 2nd opinion!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue&Pink For This Useful Post:

ChelleD  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you you must feel so helpless this is what im worried about also..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

ChelleD  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one can tell me tbh. One paed said she didn't have CMPI because she didn't have all the symptoms, but she had chronic diarrhea(for about 2 months) and when she started going backwards with her weight they tried neocate and she improved within a week....i have tried lactose free formula and it didnt change anything...theyve basically said they dont know what the cause is they think its a dairy intolerance but because it wont kill her they're not interested in finding out why as long as she's growing and puting on weight :/ it just annoys me that if this were an adult in this situation they would be doing everything they can to get to the bottom of it...

The paed mentioned something about a possible corn starch intolerance but didnt go into but did say it can cause secondary lactose intolerance and corn starch is in most formulas...but i believe its also in neocate so thats unlikely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right, corn starch is in neocate (and elecare). My DD is confirmed lactose intolerance, and also has issues with corn starch. (Amongst other things).

Ask your GP etc to do a hyrdogen breath test for lactose intolerance on your bub. That way you can confirm or rule out lactose.. although if lactose-free didn't improve things, shes probably CMPI

If she goes onto rice or almond milk (and again I strongly suggest a 2nd opinion on that) then ask about calcium supplements as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue&Pink For This Useful Post:

ChelleD  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chelle D,

So agree! Can't believe what they're willing to put babies (and mothers through) just because they can't speak up for themselves.

I honestly would try another paed or GP. I don't think the answers you're getting are good enough. Is there mucous or blood in the poo at all? Corn is a possiblity - I've heard of it happening before but its rare. From memory its more prevalent in either Neocate or Elecare (unhelpful I know but maybe a pharmacist would know which is better?).

Also, consider talking to a dietician about it. They're really up on this stuff - especially those based in childrens hospitals. Most kids hospitals have a Feeding Clinic- type set up where you see a speech therapist and dietician at the same time. Even if you only go once, they know a lot about what is in what and how to manage better at home. And they tend to be closer to people who are on the front line so they're more understanding in my experience. You can usually get a referral from any GP for these.

Let us know how you go. Poor little dot. Don't give up on trying to find the answers. You're her best advocate. Don't let lazy medical professionals put you off trying to find the answers for her.

Hugs

Jo Matthews
    President
    Reflux Infants Support Association
    www.reflux.org.au

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoMatthews For This Useful Post:

ChelleD  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's the article that was mentioned a few posts back:
    http://http://mobile.news.com.au/nat...ref_map=%5B%5D