+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Canberra or Sydney Maternity hospital

Hiya

I have just found out I’m pregnant! Wahay! 5 weeks (due March)! hubby and i are delighted! We currently live in Canberra but are thinking of moving to Manly in early new year so possibly moving when pregnant, apparently its less stressful moving whilst pregnant than with a newborn!

Few questions!
    • We will be going public, what’s the difference in having a baby in the ACT or NSW – cost wise?
    • What’s a good maternity hospital in Manly/Sydney?
    • If we stay in Canberra, what’s the best public hosp out of Canberra, Calvary or Quenbeyan?
    • On another matter, if I leave job in January to move (8 Feb is the 6 weeks before due date) How does this work in regards to paid parental leave? Would i still be entitled to it if I leave before the maternity leave is due to kick in? Or would i leave and then claim baby bonus instead?
    Thanks alot in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi and congrats on your pregnancy!

I'm in Canberra, and although I had my DS at John James I've heard a little bit about the other hospitals.

It really depends on what type of birth you're after. As you'd be around 6 weeks now you probably won't be able to get into the birthing centre at TCH as it books up very quickly. If you're after something similar I have heard that Queenbeyan is very good. A friend had her baby there last year and was allowed to go more than 10 days over without being induced, had a natural birth and just really enjoyed the experience.

I've also had friends give birth at Calvary Public and they have nothing but praise for the midwives there.

Heard good and bad things about TCH, friends in my mother's group had to fight to stay even one night after their babies were born (first babies!).

Cost wise, if you go public it shouldn't cost you anything at all.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

debsi  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

I had both my boys now 19 months & 5 months at Manly Hospital & was extremely happy!
    I had the choice of having my early apts at the hospital or at my local early childhood centre (narrabeen)

All the midwives I came across were lovely & I had two beautiful and successful natural births with boys babies being big! My first weighed 10pounds 5 ounces and second was 11pounds 6 ounces & there was never any talk of a caesarean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to boodles345 For This Useful Post:

debsi  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I don't remember any costs at all from my pregnancies

Sorry I can't help you with the maternity leave as I stopped working early on in my first pregnancy. But we got the baby bonus with both our children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juf84 View Post
    Hi and congrats on your pregnancy!

I'm in Canberra, and although I had my DS at John James I've heard a little bit about the other hospitals.

It really depends on what type of birth you're after. As you'd be around 6 weeks now you probably won't be able to get into the birthing centre at TCH as it books up very quickly. If you're after something similar I have heard that Queenbeyan is very good. A friend had her baby there last year and was allowed to go more than 10 days over without being induced, had a natural birth and just really enjoyed the experience.

I've also had friends give birth at Calvary Public and they have nothing but praise for the midwives there.

Heard good and bad things about TCH, friends in my mother's group had to fight to stay even one night after their babies were born (first babies!).

Cost wise, if you go public it shouldn't cost you anything at all.

Good luck!
    I too had both my babies (aged 3 months and nearly 3) at Calvary John James and loved it, but that was private.

I too have heard mixed reports about TCH. It may be too early to know at the moment but Calvary can only take low-medium risk pregnancies so if you develop GD and require insulin, are diabetic, or have any other health condition that may complicate your pregnancy Calvary will transfer your care to TCH.

However I have only heard positive stories about Calvary and Queanbeyan.