+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Smoking and childcare workers

I'm going to combine my two favorite topics here.

I've finally got my little one in daycare this week and am doing the usual orientation thing (staying in the room for a bit, then ducking out).

Sitting there playing with my bubba and one of the carers walked in from a break and I could instantly smell the cigarette smoke. She seemed like a lovely lady but geesus. I don't let people at home who've just had a ciggie hold bub. With the risks of SIDS etc I expect more from a professional childcare service that I'm paying for.

What's the usual policy regarding childcare workers and smoking?
    Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you handle this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of childcare workers smoke. I used to smoke when I worked at a centre.
    There was no policy as such regarding smoking, but we were told to never stink of cigarettes when arriving at the centre or coming back from a break.
    Also to wash hands before entering the room which is standard procedure anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the centre i used to work at you had to put a spare shirt over your uniform or a jacket while having a smoke so that way the smoke won't go on your work shirt i think that's a good idea

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happy86 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just popping in & out to say congrats on finally getting a spot!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have this problem too.

Our centre just got a new room leader and she smokes...and when she came over to introduce herself she just reeked! I didn't want to hand my DD over for a cuddle when i was leaving because if it was anyone else in my life...i would not have let the cuddle DD stinking of smoke

I felt really torn and just ddin't know what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would make me mad too just as it makes me feel sick when smelling cigarette smoke on a chef whilst out having dinner just thinking of him handling our food!
    I am happy to report that there are no smokers at ds's daycare though

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I worked at a CCC, pretty much all the other staff smoked, which was annoying in itself, because they would get "five minute breaks" a couple of times a day (read "fifteen minute breaks" ). I don't know what the official policy was, but they usually used to douse themselves in body spray or something before coming back into the room. You could still kind of smell it though. Yuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is a tough one because the director actually can't just tell worked that they aren't allowed to smoke because they are doing it in their own time but on the other hand i'm exactly the same as you i used to work in childcare (until i had my own kids) and there were a fair few that were smokers and would come back in smelling of smoke and there is no way i would let them near my children just like i wouldn't let my grandmother near them when she just had a smoke. i think i would say something to the director and see if they have a solution for you otherwise there isn't much you can do if childcare is hard to get where you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies, for your help

I came back in the room and the smoker was gone, apparently she was just a floating casual helping out. And the other permanent staff were taking great care of bubba: feeding him afternoon tea and he was loving it.

I think I'll keep an eye on it for now and if I notice regular similar happenings then I'll say something to the director.

Smiley: thats a difficult situation the room lead stinking of smoke. Perhaps you could have an 'anonymous' word to the director. Find something good to say about the new lead, then raise the smoking. I really think smoking childcare workers should wear a shirt/jacket that they take off after smoking. Spraying perfume doesn't do it for Me. My mum does that and the perfume annoys me nearly as much as the smoke. And it doesn't actually get rid of the dangers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depeds on how good the centre's policies are. In centres i have worked as well as been director of we had strict policies. Staff were not allowed to go out on their 15 minute tea breaks to smoke (as these were paid breaks and they had to stay on premesis) lunh times if they smoked it had to be 100 metres from building with a "smoking' shirt on instead of their own shirts then they had to wash hands and brush teeth etc before goign back ont eh floor (lunch breaks were also paid so that's why we could enforce srict policy) if you centre has unpaid lunch breaks i'd say the most the could inforce is a "smoking" shirt (if they are wearing centre uniform/work clothes) and washign of hands/brushing teeth before goign on the floor.

We have always had a SIDS and KIDS training day for new staff so they understand these reasons etc, its not to be a pain it's for the health of the children in our care.

Maybe talk to the director and ask about their smoking policy. If a centre doesn't have one these days they are well and truely behind the Eight ball

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravies For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)