+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another lysine user, as soon as anyone near me starts getting a cold or at the beginning of winter I start taking it daily, if one does rear its ugly head I use compeed cold sore patches, triple the lysine and they're normally gone within a week.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i highly recommend the compeed cold sore patches - they cut the time of the sore being present in half, they stop the pain and they cover it so it doesnt spread so easily etc.

these are the only thing that works for me and if put on early enough they have prevented the misguided lip implant look i normally get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    I've been getting coldsores for as long as I can remember and looking back at my school photos sure enough every year I had one lol the really hard thing is I'm allergic to the creams and the patches and no doubt even a brand new lip gloss or lip moisturizer and bam I will break out. I don't wear lipstick anymore lol. And its never a little tiny sore it will take up half my lip and the only thing I can do is take lysine and use iodine. If I have any moisture on the area it just grows bigger and bigger can't even lick my lips. I've resorted to drying my lips out so the sore dries up and the whole process is painful and takes about 3 weeks to heal.
    I would recommend you find out if you have HSV1 (usually cold sores) or HSV2 (usually genital herpes). Both can present orally though HSV2 as cold sores isn't common. If its HSV2 you can take suppressive medication daily which can stop your outbreaks. I'd also recommend you consistently take L-Lysine supplements, not just when you feel an outbreak coming on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to disagree that you have to be experiencing an outbreak to test positive to carrying herpes virus (cold sores). Ive never had one yet tested positive (and definately didnt have a cold sore at the time). The blood tests i had were to cover a range of viruses, Parasitic diseases and genetic disorders. I recall they were looking at my antibodies so perhaps this is not a standard type of testing for herpes virus. Testing was due to bub having echogenic bowel at 20wk scan.

Happy to stand corrected if i am wrong - just giving my experience having had tests done recently.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 20-07-2012 at 18:59. Reason: Adding extra

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree with you Taiyed. I tested positive to herpes (cold sore herpes) during blood tests when pregnant with DD1. I hadn't had a cold sore since I was a child. I do have one now though and it's horrible

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yes but you can be shedding the virus without getting a cold sore, so maybe you just need to be shedding the virus to test positve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am just going by what my doctor has told me. I don't have cold sores, I have genital herpes. I was tested via blood test & swab nearly 10 years ago so maybe times have changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having caught this last year and resulting in me having a break down (caught genitally) I've spoken to numerous professionals about this the past few months.

First of all, cold sores can be caught through viral shedding where there are no symptoms at all present, instead it comes out via skin cells and bodily fluids.

Cold sores are now the predominant herpes virus now with genital herpes slowly dying out due to the rise in oral s3x. This can present itself in either location, whereas genital herpes can't live on the mouth.

There is a suppressant medication you can take, which I have to due to constant severe outbreaks, however most doctors won't prescribe it for the occasional cold sore on the mouth.

80% of ye population are now infection with herpes, upon contact you will have an outbreak within 7-14 days and the virus can then live dormant in your system for the rest of your life.

It is a very contagious virus! As I said, no symptoms at all need be present to infect someone, I caught it when my ex insisted on going down on me when I was very sick and came out with over 10 blisters, followed by another minimum of 2 per month before starting the medication.

As for testing, swabs is the most effective but a blood test can pick up the antibodies if they are specifically look for it.

Hope that clears a few things up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Having caught this last year and resulting in me having a break down (caught genitally) I've spoken to numerous professionals about this the past few months.

First of all, cold sores can be caught through viral shedding where there are no symptoms at all present, instead it comes out via skin cells and bodily fluids.

Cold sores are now the predominant herpes virus now with genital herpes slowly dying out due to the rise in oral s3x. This can present itself in either location, whereas genital herpes can't live on the mouth.

There is a suppressant medication you can take, which I have to due to constant severe outbreaks, however most doctors won't prescribe it for the occasional cold sore on the mouth.

80% of ye population are now infection with herpes, upon contact you will have an outbreak within 7-14 days and the virus can then live dormant in your system for the rest of your life.

It is a very contagious virus! As I said, no symptoms at all need be present to infect someone, I caught it when my ex insisted on going down on me when I was very sick and came out with over 10 blisters, followed by another minimum of 2 per month before starting the medication.

As for testing, swabs is the most effective but a blood test can pick up the antibodies if they are specifically look for it.

Hope that clears a few things up
    First of all *hugs* I'm sorry to hear you suffer so badly it requires suppressive medication I was diagnosed with HSV2 (genital herpes) at age 16, nearly 10 years ago now. My first outbreak was so severe I could barely walk, I had to pee in a bowl of water. I struggled with it for years and every time I had an outbreak I would suffer severe depression & self harm. Thankfully I managed to work through all my issues and figured out my triggers. I now have 1-2 very mild outbreaks (only 1 sore) each year.

Your post is spot on except HSV2 can definitely present orally rather than gentially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the HSV1 or 2 virus can be picked up at any time in a blood test as they test for antibodies to it. Otherwise they can do a swab test if you actually have a sore. If you are getting the STD check where they do like a pap smear type thing (thats how I've had checks before), nothing will come up if you don't have an active sore where they are swabbing (ie if the virus presents as cold sores as in your case rather than genital herpes) so that might explain why its never shown up in your screening.

I think you can be exposed to it, and not get symptoms for years too, so I guess its just now that you are so run down that its come out to play.