+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadorite View Post
    They usually occur when your immune system is compromised, so being run down is probably why. You could have had the HSV1 virus (cold sores) for years and not known. It's possible to carry the virus with no symptoms. Just make sure you don't kiss your DS or DH for a few weeks. You're still contagious even after the scab is gone as your body is still shedding the virus.
    But I've had numerous tests over the years re screening of stds for ivf so wouldn't it have shown up if it was hsv2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've found putting ice on my lip as soon as I feel a tingle really helps. It reduces the size and it doesn't get to the blister stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tested positive to the virus when having extra bloods done for this pregnancy. The bloods i had taken were not standard, they were to rule out genetic problems, CF, toxoplasmosis and some other nasty stuff. I havent ever had a cold sore but both of my parents have had cold sores.

A friend of mine swears by dynamiclear rapid, its a small vile of blue/green liquid that smashes the cold sores. She loves it and besides the spot looking a little blue/green for a day it really knocks it on the head. I plan to use it if i ever have one pop up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    this might sound stupid, but i was always of the belief that you only got cold sores from either kissing someone with one, or drinking out of the same glass someone who has one, (a fresh one not scabbed yet) or eating off the same utinsil from someone who has one..well pretty much come into contact in some way with someone who has one that has just come out with one..? (again, sorry if i sound ridiculous, MIL told me that). lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just have to say the best way to get rid of one and trust me it works and its cheap is get a face washer run it under hot water then put salt on it and hold it onto your lip adults only as it does sting then put toothpaste on it this is all i have ever used i just had one please just try it re do this every couple hours

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    apparantly most (around 75%) of people that have the virus don't get cold sores ever…so lots of people have it but are unaware. The other 35% are just unlucky enough to get the cold sores. You can catch it from someone if they are shedding the virus WITHOUT A COLD SORE…even though a person only sheds the virus at certain times, and not usually without a cold sore it does happen and they believe this accounts for many cold sores where people are unsure where they have caught them.

I have also heard the tests for herpes virus are unreliable, but i have never had a test myself as i know i have herpes…i get cold sores all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The test only comes pos from memory if you are experiencing a flare up. If you are not then the test will be neg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just discovered 'propovir'...ths seems to work better at keeping the sore small and healing 'nicely' (no big crusty sore)

I HATE cold sores, get them quite often sometimes when I'm premenstrual, after I've been sick, when I've been in direct sunlight, stressed etc etc .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    The test only comes pos from memory if you are experiencing a flare up. If you are not then the test will be neg
    This is correct. To return a positive test you must be having an active outbreak, and a swab test is more accurate than a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been getting coldsores for as long as I can remember and looking back at my school photos sure enough every year I had one lol the really hard thing is I'm allergic to the creams and the patches and no doubt even a brand new lip gloss or lip moisturizer and bam I will break out. I don't wear lipstick anymore lol. And its never a little tiny sore it will take up half my lip and the only thing I can do is take lysine and use iodine. If I have any moisture on the area it just grows bigger and bigger can't even lick my lips. I've resorted to drying my lips out so the sore dries up and the whole process is painful and takes about 3 weeks to heal.