+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cold sores - am I getting one?

I have never ever had a cold sore and nor does or has my Dh or our kids. I think it's a cold sore brewing on my bottom lip, it's an uncomfortable lump. I'm applying aciclovir like mad! Why would I be getting one??? I have been sick and ds was also sick last week so perhaps a little run down I'm guessing is the cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I get them when I have a cold or otherwise ill/run down. Which annoys me because then I'm sick and run down and have a blasted cold sore

It sounds like it might be a coldsore coming. Keep up the cream. If it is a cold sore it will go all bumpy and then flaky then disappear... if they're anything like mine anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They usually occur when your immune system is compromised, so being run down is probably why. You could have had the HSV1 virus (cold sores) for years and not known. It's possible to carry the virus with no symptoms. Just make sure you don't kiss your DS or DH for a few weeks. You're still contagious even after the scab is gone as your body is still shedding the virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got some garlic? Cut it open and straight away wipe it on the area. You could also try some raw honey (has to be raw) stay away from all chocolate, nuts and sugar get some pro biotics and if I have a REALLLLLYYY bad one I'll get those compe-presses but I don't look at the ingredients because I don't want to know what's in it!!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Wallflower  (21-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also crush a vit C tablet and mix with some water, take a big dose of vit C too. This is my next try the next time I get one! Off to take a double triple dose of lysine now I have been in this thread as if I see, hear or think about one I'll get it!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds crazy but put Vicks on it. I use Vicks as lip balm and it's kept them at bay for years. The Vicks seems the shrink them and they heal pretty quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suffeerd cold-sores all my life...they suck! I find I can tell I am getting one before it appears now as my lip feels a bit tingly and itchy. I apply Acyclovir cream like mad, and also take a big dose of L-lysine. The lysine makes a massive difference to both the healing time and severity of the sore. If I get onto it early they usually remain small, but it is after the blister has dried that is the worst as they become very dry and red, making you prone to licking your lips a lot and cracking the skin leading the bleeding and scabs, so use lots of moisturising lip balm, those Compeed night patches and Acyclvir and L-lysine til completely gone.

The treatments available now are SO much better than when I was a child - that horrible brown betadine ointment that did nothing (except cause public humiliation!) and all the home remedys I found did very little...all I can say is THANK GOD for anti-viral ointment now available!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Have you got some garlic? Cut it open and straight away wipe it on the area. You could also try some raw honey (has to be raw) stay away from all chocolate, nuts and sugar get some pro biotics and if I have a REALLLLLYYY bad one I'll get those compe-presses but I don't look at the ingredients because I don't want to know what's in it!!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    I get them too when I'm run down

Is eggs another thing you should avoid? I'd heard of chocolate, nuts and sugar but also eggs..

Also L lysine can be taken as a preventative as well cant it? If you are beginning to feel a bit run down. ThTs what I do if I think i need a bit Of an immune system boost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only started getting cold sores 5 years ago. I actually took the day off work thinking I had a huge allergic reaction to something from the size of my lip!

I love lysine supplements & the compeed patches. They help to reduce the severity although not always the length of the cold sore.
    I feel awful for my 19month DS as he is confused because I won't let him kiss me on the lips at the moment. He keeps trying to trick me. Honestly I have probably already passed the virus onto him unfortunately. Makes me sad but given the virus sheds for so long it is probably inevitable.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    they can lay dormant for a long time then they can be activated by stress of whatever sort.

The ONLY thing that works for me is the COMPEED COLD SORE PATCHES.. they soothe, help heal and allow you to put makeup over them as well help prevent them from spreading.

They can also be spread through tears and possibly saliva….so no sharing of utensils and be careful when you touch your eyes and face before you touch someone elses mouth etc. Hopefully this will be a rogue one and wont come back to bother you again….well not for a long time any way. The first one can be a bit rough, so take it easy.