+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone. Kw, yep I have someone I can talk to, thanks for asking.

She's seen an osteopath who says she's all good. Our GP says she will grow out of any reflux she might have. I think I need a second opinion.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Some babies just don't do sleep, my DD is the same. She barely slept during the day as a newborn. You are NOT a bad mother!! Newborns can be excrutiatingly hard. Don't forget you are still establishing breastfeeding at this point. Did you have any birth complications? I had a severe PPH with DD that I'm guessing affected my supply and DD was attached to me for the first 3 months of her life. The things that helped me were:
    - learning to feed lying down so I can rest and watch TV or read or nap.
    - using a sling, she liked to be next to me so I got some respite from feeding when I used a sling
    - lowering my expectations about what I was going to do during the day.

My DD didn't do swings, baby gyms, bouncinettes or any of the usual baby things either. She would cry and scream as soon as I took my hands off her. She's 19 months old now and still insists on bodily contact when she sleeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't want to scare you, but my 2 year old still has severe reflux. So get another opinion, even for your own sanity. As I said before google reflux as there is heaps of info out there and stuff you can do at home now to try an alleviate any symptoms. If it is reflux. Best wishes, your not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, completely issue free birthing. DD won't do her swing either, doesn't mind her beanbag if she's in the right mood & I am right there but god forbid I should step away from her for even a moment. I put her in the ergo a lot but its hit & miss - sometimes she sleeps for a few minutes, sometimes she screams.

I will try some mylanta I think & see. I did a few weeks ago but it made her worse so I stopped.

ETA: When I say she doesn't sleep, I mean day & night. At all apart from the odd good night & some 30-40 min blocks, even overnight.
    Last edited by becandabub; 18-07-2012 at 19:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've had 3 very unsettled babies but what you're describing sounds awful even to me. I would see a GP and get a referral to a baby sleep school ASAP. If she's sleeping so badly overnight as well as during the day exhaustion will overcome you and it can just get harder. One of the mums I know from here went to sleep school 3 times with her bub before he became settled. It's a tough road. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bec,
    this sounds exactly like my 8 week old. We've done the osteo and that had some success, but the biggest sleep we'd ever had was 3 hours and the average was1 hour. He was just so unsettled and clearly in pain and I felt like the lousiest mother on the planet.

Our paed recommended Marina infant formula when we saw him yesterday because we'd had no success with mylanta and infant gaviscon. First dose was last night - he slept 8 - 12 and 1 to 3.45. I had to go and check he was breathing! Tonight I've got him down by 6.30 without our usual 4 to 5 hours of colic and screaming. I'm holding my breath, but I'm not brave enough to be excited yet ... Might be worth a try though. It's a natural product and there is a fair bit of info on it on google.

HTH. Hang in there - it's the worst feeling in the world and you are definitely not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bec, my 6 week DS is very unsettled this week as well. The LC had told me that baby crying peaks at around 6 weeks, so I was sort of expecting it but definitely not prepared. Today has been very tough!!

DS has been crying most of the day today except for a couple of naps he had this afternoon. He has also been feeding all the time. I nurse him, burp him and he starts crying straight away.

He's very gassy but has been from day 1 so I don't think it's the issue. I'm a bit wary of medicating him for gas/colic because I read that many of these medications help because they sedate the baby rather than do something to their tummy. I would like to be 100% sure about what I'm giving to him before going down that path.

I will try to keep my cool and wait for this phase to go away. At least DH will be home this weekend to share the load. That being said, if DS continues to be this unsettled for too many days I might go to the GP just to make sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, have you read the Happiest Baby on the Block? They also talk about crying peaking at 6 weeks.

I'be been using the book/DVD strategies and they work sometimes for periods of time. Yesterday I had a good 2 hour sleep thanks to radio white noise, but it didn't work today

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your daughter sounds really unsettled, it must be so tough for you!
    I really think you should get a second opinion especially seem she's not sleeping well day or night. She must be so overtired.

Maybe it's silent reflux that needs meds? Or maybe she does have an intolerance?

Go see another GP or a Paed!!

Both my daughters were unsettled babies, they catnapped during the day and generally cried/screamed to sleep while I rocked them. They were colicky in the evening and would eventually crash after hours and then do a pretty good sleep till morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From about 3 weeks on I had the same problem and tried everything I could think of... until one of my cousin's suggested seeing a chiropractor. Well I took my little girl to a chiropractor this week and on the first day after her adjustment she cried a lot... but on the second day it was like I had a completely different baby. She was content, happy, chatty, playful and sleeps so much better. I did a lot of research and called a number of practices before I chose a chiropractor to go to as I had to know that they were experienced with infants. What I have learned is that sometimes babies spines can be slightly out of alignment by laying in awkward positions in utero and can also can be misaligned through childbirth.

Just a thought, but it has helped my little girl tremendously!!