+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 week old nightmare

I have a gorgeous 6 week old daughter who has me in tears regularly. She is so unbelievably unsettled most of the time. She is exclusively breastfed & is gaining weight & weeing & pooping plenty. She barely sleeps at all, I try to put her to sleep, I try to get her drowsy then put her down, I try patting her, stroking her, putting her on the breast, driving, walking, jiggling. She will not sleep, preferring instead to scream until I put her back on the breast. I've tried formula top ups, she wont take them.

What can I do? I feel like jumping off a bridge, I'm such a terrible mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe speak to your gp about reflux?

I don't have any experience with it, but from what I've learned on here, it could be a possibility?

Otherwise DS had a really bad stage too around then. Very clingy, fed almost all the time, would only sleep on me. It's rough but it will get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Firstly. U most def are not a bad mother. They say the first 45 days is the hardest. As its a big adjustment for u both mentally and physically.

Im no expert. But my advice would be that u need to go see a baby chiropractor. Often babies get stiff necks from birth and need a little physio to sort it
    out. Ive had 6 friends have the same sort of thing.
    All babies slept better after their first sessions.

Hope this helps.....

Vx

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vonylook For This Useful Post:

shumwah  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I second what the others have said. You are doing an amazing job and are not a bad mother!! Big hugs xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes like the others go see your gp about the baby having reflux. Google has loads of info. Also go see a baby Chiro. They do work miracles. I found the the first 6 weeks crappy too. Your not alone. Most just don't like to admit it. Best wishes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (20-07-2012)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi becandabub, you are not a bad mum, that is most important. There can be a whole bunch of things. Go see your gp, or mhn, or even the chiropractor, physio. also there could be something in your diet that doesnt agree with bub. cut down or remove the dairy, particularly the lactose, in your diet. baby might even like to be swaddled, that sometimes helps. Lots of small adjustments, Im sure you will find something that works. hugs, Marie.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs hunny! You are not a bad mum! The first months are soooo hard and you sound like you are doing an amazing job. Like everyone else has said, talk to a doc or your mchn. It could be anything. Could be reflux or something perhaps in your diet that is affecting your milk and upsetting bub.

It's hard, I know, my bub was like you describe and at times I felt like I was going to lose it. Got to docs and nurses until someone listens, I found most ppl told me that it was "normal". Finally found someone who listened to me.

Try to remember that this too shall pass and you are doing a wonderful job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you were a bad mum you wouldn't care that your baby is crying, but you do so that makes you a great mum!! It's so hard having a newborn, WAY harder than people let on. It's ok not to know what's wrong, you just have to keep asking for help.

My DD screamed for the first 12 weeks, wouldn't sleep during the day for more than 20mins and mostly that was in my arms. She was breastfed but had poor weight gains and shocking reflux. I was on motillium which seemed to help with supply then her poo turned into green sludge. We went to the children's hospital when she was 11wks and refused to leave until we got some answers from a paed. After camping out in emergency for 12 hrs the consulting paed finally saw us and said he thought it was food intolerances. A week or two later I ended up weaning her onto a prescription formula (tried eliminating dairy & soy proteins but i was a depressed wreck by this point and just ended up starving myself) and she has been a brilliant day sleeper since.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your bub but I do think it's worth investigating your bub's unsettled behaviour.

I hope it gets better for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were in the same boat with our DS. He was a bit chucky, but found out after a couple of weeks of exhausted non sleeping and super crying baby that he had slient reflux and colic.

It was very frustrating, cos I was so hormonal and anything set me off, so I would break down if he chucked on me let alone non stop screaming for hours at a time.

Best thing was seeing the paeditrician!! She put him on medication and he settled so well!! The reflux did last till he was a bit over 6 months old with the occasional projectile chuck but overall he was so much happier and even started sleeping longer at night, sleeping almost all through at 3 months.

So if you don't already see one, get a referral from your GP and make an appointment to see a paed!

Good luck!

Oh, PS... you are not a bad mum. I had thoughts of shaking my bub to stop screaming and throwing him at my worst stage. But you need to stay strong and don't be afraid to accept help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bec - do you have someone you can talk to about how you're feeling? xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-07-2012)