+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rough Breastfeeding

Hi,

I'm after some advice on breastfeeding my 7.5 month old DS. He started clamping down on my nipple a few months ago before teeth. He now has 3 teeth and will bite me at least once a day when feeding. This is not my main concern as i know its normal. When waiting for the let down, which takes anywhere from 30 sec to 1 min, DS scratches, pinches, twists my skin, is generally really rough with me. I don't know what to do about it but it is making me really upset. I see other babies lovingly stroke their mother's face whilst feeding and (perhaps naively) presumed this is what all babies were like?

I trim his nails which helps a little but he is a very strong baby and his pinching and twists hurts regardless of nail length. Obviously he is too young to understand what i'm saying but i tell him 'that's hurting Mummy' and take him off the breast sometimes. I don't always take him off because if i keep taking him on and off it takes forever to get the let down. So i just grin and bare it until the let down comes.

Is this normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't got much advice sorry, as my 5m/o DS does the same thing.
    But I've been trying to put a blanket toy under his hand so he does it to that instead or put mittens on whilst feeding.
    Id like to hear what others have to say!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevven For This Useful Post:

Mummablue  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds completely normal to me

DS did the same at that age. I persevered with removing him from the breast and I think it worked, he stopped shortly after.

I think it's just frustration?

Maybe you could try hand expressing a bit before attaching him so there is no wait for the let down?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds pretty unpleasant, could you wear a clunky colourful necklace for him to play with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to know i'm not alone! The necklace is a good idea actually because i have noticed an improvement when i'm wearing a scarf and he plays with that sometimes. It doesn't completely stop it but certainly is much better.
    Thanks again! Just needed to know i wasn't the only one