+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is just human nature for people to talk without really thinking what comes out of their mouths. Everyone uses the word "luck' to cover a whole bunch of more suitable words that they should use, but cant be bothered to think past that word. "Luck" for the most part, has nothing to do with choices we make, but people just dont really Think. marie.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

themissingpiece  (19-07-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    People don't think? I'm shocked and outraged by this revelation! Lol.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (18-07-2012),delirium  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012),jagamoe  (19-07-2012),Jakois  (18-07-2012),Kiplusthree  (18-07-2012),Sariele  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Okay, another example.. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I lived with a friend when I was a SAHM. She told me I was 'lucky' because I didn't have to go to work like she did.

Now I'm lucky because I get to go to work and she's at home with a baby!

So I'm "lucky" because my DS is older and more self sufficient and not breastfed so I can leave him with DP and go out etc.

So the 2.5 years I breastfed him and didn't go out mean nothing, I'm lucky because I can NOW have a bit of freedom and she has to suffer in her jocks while I get to gallavant around wearing my diamonds, pearls and drinking cristal and sleeping until noon every day.
    I don't really understand what you don't understand..

This example just sounds like a "grass is always greener" type scenario, people usually think they are doing it harder than someone else and she just seems like she was jealous that she had to work when you didn't and now is jealous because she's struggling with a little baby when you're not.

I agree with the pp who said that lucky is used a lot in conversation when it probably isn't the most accurate word to describe a situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh yes I understand her and her bitterness but I'm seeing it more and more and more. I've seen it here a lot - about who is "lucky" because of a 10 word post they have seen from another member and therefore their life is so much easier.

What I don't understand is why this attitude is so common.

I have huge admiration for my newfound GP, I think she's totally awesome and great at her job. I can't imagine saying to her "you're lucky you get to be a GP", I think that would be a ludicrous thing to say. But I see and hear it all the time of others!

I'm lucky that I was born here and not in the slums of India. Lucky I was born into a good family.

But others choosing their life and then saying others are "lucky" when they too have chosen theirs... makes no sense to me. I'm talking people on par, I would say I am lucky to be able to have a job because I have no learning disabilities nor other disabilities that stop me. But don't sit at home wanting a job and say I'm lucky because I have one when you haven't applied for any iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kind of like when someone says "you're lucky you own your own house". Um no, I didn't just randomly wake up one day and discover wow I now own a house!

I think it's misuse of the term "lucky" tbh. It's kind of become a way of saying "I would like to be in your position" but instead of acknowledging that it is about them (ie they are envious) it becomes about you (you are where they want to be and it's not fair).

Does that make any sense??

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (18-07-2012),BrAins  (19-07-2012),Hamilicious  (19-07-2012),jbish  (18-07-2012),Kiplusthree  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just because you make one choice doesn't mean you can't envy aspects of another?

I've never tried to be a jet setting bachelor but I have a friend in my fb who is always posting pics of himself with celebs in different places etc. I've never tried to have that lifestyle, but I still think it can look pretty cool!

I think if this is upsetting you, you need to look deeper within yourself as to the reason why, rather than ask others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I think if this is upsetting you, you need to look deeper within yourself as to the reason why, rather than ask others
    Nope.

Of course you can envy others choices and regret yours - but is that luck? I would say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having read more I think I know more what you mean benji. People always say to me youre lucky you can work from home as though it happened to me randomly. Whereas no, it was a conscious decision that hard work and taking risks made happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Benji  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Having read more I think I know more what you mean benji. People always say to me youre lucky you can work from home as though it happened to me randomly. Whereas no, it was a conscious decision that hard work and taking risks made happen.
    Yeah, sorry I didn't explain very well. I would say if a friend won millions on lotto oh hell yes I'm jealous and she's lucky

But the "you're lucky to work from home" bahaha. I discussed it the other day - I tried it and lasted about two minutes because it was too darn hard!!! I take my hat off to those who can!

Going through a really, really crap time in my life and yep tiring of the "you're lucky" nonsense because truly I would give anything absolutely anything to have my family safe and healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see where you are coming from because I hate it when people say to me you are so lucky you only have one child, i'm not lucky because I want another child but you say didnt we choose it like this? No I didn't want a massive age gap therefore I think people with more kids are lucky they were able to concieve when they chose to. So yes luck does play a part in some aspects of life IMO.