+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weird....

I don't think this is baby related... But has anyone had that sort of full body paralysed feeling when you wake in the night or try and go back to sleep??
    Your awake, but cannot move or make any vocal sound??
    I suppose suffer from that abit and its creepy!
    Anyone know what that is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done, I know what you mean.
    I think it's actually a nightmare though, of sorts. You've fallen asleep or are still asleep, but your brain thinks otherwise?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffbum For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This used to happen to my FH, where he would wake up paralysed for a second or two, and I would wake up to him groaning.

I read somewhere that it's when you wake up suddenly in the rem cycle, and your body has released too much of that chemical that makes you fall into deep sleep. It just takes a second for it to wear off and your body to wake up properly.

I think that makes sense, though you never know with the internet

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had something similar a few times. I 'dream'? I'm awake and I try to move and it's impossible. I try to talk or sometimes scream (coz I find it really scary) and I can't.

Is that what u get OP?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's scary as cuss! I'm the same, can't move, or scream and I feel as though someone's in my room (other than husband and or children) this morning I kept getting the feeling and did NOT want to try go to sleep again.. now I'm very sleepy thanks Sleep Paralysis...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's called sleep paralysis, and it's pretty common.

Usually it's not indicative of any problems, but happens because your body is paralyzed when you're in REM sleep - if it wasn't, you'd be up and acting out your dreams. When you watch a dog twitch in its sleep? That's because the paralysis hasn't been 100% effective.

Anyway, sometimes your consciousness and the physical paralysis are out of sync, so that your body becomes paralysed before you're unconscious, or you become aware before the paralysis has disappeared.

It's also pretty common to experience hallucinations, the feeling of others being present and even seemingly sexual experiences. It's considered a likely explanation for the similarities between incubi/succubi in folklore and details of supposed alien abductions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    It's called sleep paralysis, and it's pretty common.

Usually it's not indicative of any problems, but happens because your body is paralyzed when you're in REM sleep - if it wasn't, you'd be up and acting out your dreams. When you watch a dog twitch in its sleep? That's because the paralysis hasn't been 100% effective.

Anyway, sometimes your consciousness and the physical paralysis are out of sync, so that your body becomes paralysed before you're unconscious, or you become aware before the paralysis has disappeared.

It's also pretty common to experience hallucinations, the feeling of others being present and even seemingly sexual experiences. It's considered a likely explanation for the similarities between incubi/succubi in folklore and details of supposed alien abductions.
    I get this every so often with the hallucinations. It is freaky but I am kind of used to it now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get this as well. I have "thought" i have felt hand pressing on my chest, Ive woken up not being able to breath as well. So you are not alone I just never did anything about

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahlsandbubs For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've experienced this too, and as Renn said - it's just sleep paralysis. Totally scary the first time it happens though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to have them when I was 18/19...awful feeling.